Welded Crank?

Whats up guys..I'm looking at getting a aggressive dune port for my 06 shee. Do I need to, or would it be a good idea to get my crank trued and welded before getting my port work done???

Current mods, Cpi inframes, noss head 19CC, v-force 3's, pods, tors kit, +4 timing, stock carbs.

Thanks for all opinions on this!

I was going to weld mine, then I thought, why go through all the work to pull the engine, and split the case just to put the stock welded crank back in??? When I can put a BRAND NEW Hot rods 4mil crank in for a little over 400 bucks! And after I sold my stock crank on ebay for 120 bucks, the net cost of the 4mil was about 300. New crank and allot more power, that's what I would do!!

welded crank is a must especially if your bumpin up compression and spinnin some rpms with a ported motor. i have a stock welded crank done by fast racing with very low hours on it if your interested make me an offer. or i have an entire motor for sale ported welded crank etc etc

yes, if you have a nice, low-hour stock crank with thight bearing clearances, it would be a good idea to weld it. if it is a bit worn, i would have it rebuilt first with some good quality 8ball bearings in the center and new seal and rod kits. then you can have it trued/welded durring assembly, and even cryoed if you choose, and it will be a pretty much bulletproof crank that will last several years and 2x as reliable as a brand new weisco/hr crank...

• 2 weeks later...

do you truely believe a manufacture would produce cranks if a mandatory weld was necessary? idk i always wondered myself :confused:

I would definetly weld the crank, mine let go when all I had done was a set of pipes and paddles. Yamaha says the crank does not need to be welded on a STOCK bike, but if it is modified then the crank should be welded. Yamaha considers paddle tires to be modified, they denied me warranty when I took the bike in with paddles on it, I had taken the pipes off and put the stockers back on. If you are a light weight person or don't ride aggressively you might get away with not welding it, but I would not chance it. If the crank lets go it will damage alot of parts: cylinders, pistons, head,possibly cases. Depending on how bad, some of it can be repaired and some of it will have to be replaced.

If done correctly you will love it. Utah is an awesome place to ride!

Just to set some things straight Hotrod and wiesco cranks are not the same, they are produced by 2 completely different companies. Only the 4mm hotrods is welded from the factory but very little. We recommend welding the cranks at all power levels its just cheap insurance. Its not if the cranks will separate its just when!