Mull Engineering

I’m looking for opinions on anyone who have used Mull Engineering and specifically had head work done by them. I’m doing a budget rebuild this winter and plan to send my head in have them machine it. Any info would be appreciated.

I have a Mull Engineering milled head. And the workmanship is top notch. Brandon is a good dude to deal with also.

Thanks for the responses. I never questioned the workmanship of Mull Engineering. I guess I phrased my first post wrong. I am more interested in the comparison of a machined head vs, say, a cool head. I do all trail riding and was concerned about heat as most of the trails are tight and pretty slow.

Thanks for the responses. I never questioned the workmanship of Mull Engineering. I guess I phrased my first post wrong. I am more interested in the comparison of a machined head vs, say, a cool head. I do all trail riding and was concerned about heat as most of the trails are tight and pretty slow.

generally, most people do not buy a cool head expecting a huge temperature drop. most people buy them because they want the option of using different compressions at different points in time or with different motors.

One of the common misconceptions of the OE Banshee head is it causes over heating. This was built up by the key builder of the billet coolhead 20 yrs ago. It does NOT cause over heating but I will admit that in stock form, the head does not burn correctly thus causing more localized heating in the head. I will write a tech article soon on the subject but basically because the burn rate is low, this causes more heating in the head. If you increase the burn rate through optimizing the combustion process, you reduce the localized heating in the head.

I will not, however, say that increases in the CR will not increase heating because it will but that is true with any head.

I will also say that we have been able to take a stock Banshee, shoot the CR through the roof, keep it on pump fuels, AND reduce over all engine temps through careful engineering of the combustion and heating processes. You really have to study the areas where the heat comes. The bikes we did that on were trail type bikes that were subject to major heat loads but I will admit that they did cost money and many Banshees are getting built on a budget today so we do not really advertise those services.

Mull Engineering

One of the common misconceptions of the OE Banshee head is it causes over heating. This was built up by the key builder of the billet coolhead 20 yrs ago. It does NOT cause over heating but I will admit that in stock form, the head does not burn correctly thus causing more localized heating in the head. I will write a tech article soon on the subject but basically because the burn rate is low, this causes more heating in the head. If you increase the burn rate through optimizing the combustion process, you reduce the localized heating in the head.

I will not, however, say that increases in the CR will not increase heating because it will but that is true with any head.

I will also say that we have been able to take a stock Banshee, shoot the CR through the roof, keep it on pump fuels, AND reduce over all engine temps through careful engineering of the combustion and heating processes. You really have to study the areas where the heat comes. The bikes we did that on were trail type bikes that were subject to major heat loads but I will admit that they did cost money and many Banshees are getting built on a budget today so we do not really advertise those services.

Mull Engineering

What do you think of the banshee cooling system of a whole? Is there any room for improvement (even theoretically)? Most other two stroke cylinders that I have seen enter the cylinder, have quite a robust water jacket around the exhaust port and then exit out of the head. To me it is amazing that the banshee cooling system works at all with inlet in one side of the head and out the other. Its almost like it is only pulling heat out of the head and combustion chambers as there is no REAL flow path to through the cylinders.

i believe the cooling path operates on a "heat rises" principal and will not only cool on this principal, but more stabilize the heating and cooling fluxuations, so cold water doesn't "shock" the cylinders...with the process that hot and cold water doesn't mix verry easily or quickly

What do you think of the banshee cooling system of a whole? Is there any room for improvement (even theoretically)? Most other two stroke cylinders that I have seen enter the cylinder, have quite a robust water jacket around the exhaust port and then exit out of the head. To me it is amazing that the banshee cooling system works at all with inlet in one side of the head and out the other. Its almost like it is only pulling heat out of the head and combustion chambers as there is no REAL flow path to through the cylinders.

If I am not mistaken, in the factory head and the good cool heads, the front part of the head is divided from the rear part of the head and the coolant has to go down into the cylinders, circulate around them and then rise back inti the head to flow to the radiator. But then again, I could be wrong.