So i just got my Banshee started up

sweeper350

I have a 2002 Yamaha Banshee and it has not been run since around July - August, she has been pinned in the corner of my garage by my wifes car. so while she was out getting all the thanksgiving stuff i pulled her out, and gave her two kicks and she started.. i was amazed.. She was running a little rich but thats okay.. but i noticed that smoke was only coming out of one of my tail pipes.. and i definitely remember it used to smoke out of both of the tail pipes. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Im running a T6 Toomey Exhaust system. (2nd: ) i was revving her light/moderately for a little than i let her idle for about 30 seconds. than she stalled out.. ive noticed this happened basically since i bought it back in 2004. except this would happen when i would be riding it too. every time i let her idle she will stall out.. and wont turn over unless i let her sit for about 5 minutes.. could the idle screw be a little off or something? (3rd: ) the lights have not been working for a while and i am going to need them for when it snows.. any reason for this? i hit the switch for high and low nothing happened... if theres anything i could check please let me know.. sorry for these newbie questions. i bought the bike for my son for his 16th birthday, he rode it twice than stopped messing with it so its mine now. i just dont want to bring it in to the shop and have them break my arms and legs for something that could be an easy fix. any input is appreciated. thanks - sweeper

I have a 2002 Yamaha Banshee and it has not been run since around July - August, she has been pinned in the corner of my garage by my wifes car. so while she was out getting all the thanksgiving stuff i pulled her out, and gave her two kicks and she started.. i was amazed.. She was running a little rich but thats okay.. but i noticed that smoke was only coming out of one of my tail pipes.. and i definitely remember it used to smoke out of both of the tail pipes. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Im running a T6 Toomey Exhaust system. (2nd: ) i was revving her light/moderately for a little than i let her idle for about 30 seconds. than she stalled out.. ive noticed this happened basically since i bought it back in 2004. except this would happen when i would be riding it too. every time i let her idle she will stall out.. and wont turn over unless i let her sit for about 5 minutes.. could the idle screw be a little off or something? (3rd: ) the lights have not been working for a while and i am going to need them for when it snows.. any reason for this? i hit the switch for high and low nothing happened... if theres anything i could check please let me know.. sorry for these newbie questions. i bought the bike for my son for his 16th birthday, he rode it twice than stopped messing with it so its mine now. i just dont want to bring it in to the shop and have them break my arms and legs for something that could be an easy fix. any input is appreciated. thanks - sweeper

It should be smoking out both pipes. There is one pipe for each cylinder. and well 2 strokes smoke. so both cylinders should be smoking.

Whens the last time it was jetted or tuned up or had any maintence done on it? Might be time!

as for the lights, check the stator. Seen lots of stators come loose and break the wires, meaning theres no electrical power any more. If thats not it, follow the wiring with a multimeter, you'll find the problem somewhere lol.

It should be smoking out both pipes. There is one pipe for each cylinder. and well 2 strokes smoke. so both cylinders should be smoking.

Whens the last time it was jetted or tuned up or had any maintence done on it? Might be time!

as for the lights, check the stator. Seen lots of stators come loose and break the wires, meaning theres no electrical power any more. If thats not it, follow the wiring with a multimeter, you'll find the problem somewhere lol.

shit its been probably a year and a half since its been worked on . its been sitting for a while.. i probably have 4 hours total on it since i bought it in 04 .. and had it tuned up twice since then. i was going to ride it tomorrow to knock the cobwebs off it but if theres smoke coming out of one pipe only i guess it wouldnt be great to ride it? dont want to mess anything up.. and the lights ill check out the connections, i just come on here before fiddling with anything.. i guess it may be time to get it serviced, shes in great condition for an 02 and i wanna keep her running strong. thanks for the response i really appreciate it.

hey man, to answer your smoke outta one pipe question, i notice my banshee does that to, i always fix it right away by pulling out the choke on the carb ever side isnt smoking. That always fixes it for me, hope it helps.

hey man, to answer your smoke outta one pipe question, i notice my banshee does that to, i always fix it right away by pulling out the choke on the carb ever side isnt smoking. That always fixes it for me, hope it helps.

Your lights could be as simple as a burnt out light bulbs and throw some new plugs in her and see what happens.

Your lights could be as simple as a burnt out light bulbs and throw some new plugs in her and see what happens.

There could be a lot going on here. Start with a fresh fuel mix. Old fuel sucks.

Pull off the air filter unit and look into the carbs and make sure when you hit the throttle that they both go up at the same time. There is also a sight glass in the upper portion of the right hand side of the carbs that is used for this purpose also.

If it still doesn't run well, the carbs will need to be cleaned. Completely cleaned.

Start with these first cause they are free, then take it to a shop if you can't figure it out here, but definitely don't ride it like that. Good Luck!

Also, check the air screws on the left side of the carbs. They are right next to the air tube. Gently screw them in and count the amount of turns it take til they stop. They should be the same on both sides. Don't forget to screw them back out.

Start there first. It's the easiest to do.

start by putting new gas oil in it gas &oil will start to brake down after 2 weeks more than like lee your bulbs are blown this can happen by running it with the voltage regulator being unplugged its a little silver box with a blue wire under the seat make sure that blue wire is plugged in it is a good idea to tape together so it don't come unplugged when you ride if you turn on your lights with it unplugged it will blow all your lights and put new plugs in it and you should be good to go run it and make sure that both pipes heat up the same if not the 1 that is cooler probably is not getting fuel so look at that carb might have a stuck float as for the idle if you have the t.o.r.s on them all you do is take off seat and there will be to big ass things on your carbs with sum wires coming off them turn the nob clockwise on both carbs the same amount until it idles nice and smooth good luck

start by putting new gas oil in it gas &oil will start to brake down after 2 weeks more than like lee your bulbs are blown this can happen by running it with the voltage regulator being unplugged its a little silver box with a blue wire under the seat make sure that blue wire is plugged in it is a good idea to tape together so it don't come unplugged when you ride if you turn on your lights with it unplugged it will blow all your lights and put new plugs in it and you should be good to go run it and make sure that both pipes heat up the same if not the 1 that is cooler probably is not getting fuel so look at that carb might have a stuck float as for the idle if you have the t.o.r.s on them all you do is take off seat and there will be to big ass things on your carbs with sum wires coming off them turn the nob clockwise on both carbs the same amount until it idles nice and smooth good luck

I have never had a carb with the tors on it. What do they do and why doesn't my used Banshee have them? Thanks.