Coolant leaking into transmission?

broseph

My clutch is not working. The clutch feels good pulling it and is adjusted right but it wont engage at all. I drained the oil and it looked really grey and milky. Could this be coolant leaking into the clutch cover causing this failure? What seal going to need to be replaced? I talked about this in an earlier post and was told it could be my clutch basket but I forgot to mention the color of the oil.

My clutch is not working. The clutch feels good pulling it and is adjusted right but it wont engage at all. I drained the oil and it looked really grey and milky. Could this be coolant leaking into the clutch cover causing this failure? What seal going to need to be replaced? I talked about this in an earlier post and was told it could be my clutch basket but I forgot to mention the color of the oil.

You certainly either have a water pump failure or the o-ring and seal where the output coolant tube goes through the case is leaking. However, that should not keep your clutch from engaging at all. Or is it NOT disengaging. I really could not tell by your post what the symptom really is with your clutch.

B

when I start it in nuetral and shift into gear it just lunges foward and dies. If I hold the clutch in and try to kick it in first it just jumps foward. Also I cant hold the clutch in and push it when it is in gear. I thought maybe the coolant leaking in would cause the plates to stick together but I really dont know much about clutches. What do you think?

when I start it in nuetral and shift into gear it just lunges foward and dies. If I hold the clutch in and try to kick it in first it just jumps foward. Also I cant hold the clutch in and push it when it is in gear. I thought maybe the coolant leaking in would cause the plates to stick together but I really dont know much about clutches. What do you think?

If you asked me before, I probably told you to rev it up and drop it into gear. Rev just enough so the bike will take the gear without dying. Then get rolling and pull in the clutch. If the clutch does not break adhesion at that point, there is a problem. It is common for plates to stick from time to time. start with new trans oil too. That will help.

B

If you asked me before, I probably told you to rev it up and drop it into gear. Rev just enough so the bike will take the gear without dying. Then get rolling and pull in the clutch. If the clutch does not break adhesion at that point, there is a problem. It is common for plates to stick from time to time. start with new trans oil too. That will help.

B

I have heard they would stick from time to time from sitting for a while but I was riding it around changed the tires and then it started doing that. I just thought that it was strange that it all of the sudden did it, and i just did a rebuild and put new oil in less than 1 hour worth of riding time ago. Is it common for them to do that when they have not been sitting?

Coolant is VERY bad for the clutch plates, just fyi

Yes, some clutch plates when exposed to water will have the friction material come off the steel plate that it is bonded to. Then the friction material wads up in the clutch pack and there is no room for the plates to seperate. The leak could either be the O-ring on the coolant tube the clutch cover slides over or the water pump shaft seal. There is no coolant in the "crankcase" , so it can not be a crank seal. Coolant come inti the clutch cover, goes thru the water pump, out thru the coolant tube and hose the head into the cylinders, back into the head and out to the radiator.

I had coolant in mine to. it ended up bieng the pump shaft seal. it will be better to go ahead and get a complet seal kit! mine came frome moose. like 20 bucks its good to have xtra seals! and dont forget to get a clutch cover and watter pump plate gasket to.

if you dont allready have a billet impeller this is a good time to get one! be sure to check the pump shaft where the seal rides for a groove. if it has one it will continue leaking. if your clutch pack doesent look all worn out and you cant buy a new one soak it in brake cleaner and let it dry in the sun. or replace.............................. my X2..... :ph34r:

i just checked my oil and it was white from water getting in there, are you sure its coolant ? mine was from a crankcase vent coming out and everytime i went through water or washed it water gotin the cases