help, no spark!

rileyrs

so i was having problems with the shee dying at lower rpms, it slowly got worse and worse, and then finally it just wouldnt run at all. i though it was a carb problem, but turned out, i have no spark at all anymore.

brought it to a local guy i know, he tested the stator and said it was fine, so thats in the clear, i borrowed a functional coil from a friend and put it on, and still no spark.

so does this leave out only the cdi? or is there anything else that it could be? i checked all connections and everything seems fine. if anyone knows of something else to check out, it would be great.

id hate to buy a new cdi, and then find out it was something cheaper. so any help would be appreciated.

tors is gone.

i dont know anyone with the cdi for this bike, since mines a 87, everyone i know has newer bike, so im not sure what to try.

wiring seems to be ok, i checked all connections and grounds.

if i do buy a new cdi, should i get one from ricky stator for 125, or ebay for around 70-80, or is there a cheaper alternative for a used one? maybe someone on here selling theirs?

• 3 weeks later...

well im still stuck with no spark.

as said before, stator tested good twice.

its got a new cdi, new coil, new plugs. just pulled flywheel, pickup coil and flywheel look ok.

all wiring looks good, and all conectors plugged in?

why doesnt my banshee have spark???

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

never thought about the lights, ill check tomorow, i guess that would have been an easy way to rule stuff out.

no melting, good grounds, all switches are good, pickup coil gap seems good.

just threw the flywheel back on, and turned the lights on and kicked, and nothin, so signs of any power to the lights.

so does that mean im loosing power somewhere in the wiring? if so i guess ill bust out the ohmmeter and start checking my wiring harness.

well was going to say check your woodruf key on ur flywheel but you had it off and put it on.(buddy of mine baught a shee for a 1,000 bucks do to no spark and thats what was wrong with it). spark plug boots? sounds like the stator to me man if your gap is good and ur cdi is good. how the 2 connectors look to the coil? had a wire break away from the coil and just re crimpped a new connector and i was riding again. good luck

plug boots are good since they came with the new coil. ends on the wires to the coil are good, i just replaced them in case.

i guess i will test the stator again, and make sure my wiring is good.

thanks for the replies.

actually, if it ohms out on the yellow and black wires from the stator, and your lichting circuits are good, then it sounds like you have a bad flywheel.....if you have a testlight with a regular bulb, you can hook it to the red and green wires and it will put out bright power to the testight when you kick it. what does the red/white and green/white read?

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but i thought flywheels generally didn't go bad unless they were dropped or something like that?

or is there something that can go wrong with their magnetic ability to generate power with the stator?