Messed Up My Banshee Yesterday

B.Mag

So I just got a 6-pack rack a little while ago to hold an extra gas tank because I ride with all 4-strokes and they can go all day on one tank, and I obviously cant. The strap that comes with the rack isnt very good so I threw a tie down on it and snugged it down, like I do everytime. I was kind of beating the piss out of my shee in this sand pit and I could hear the gas tank clanking around. I started ripping up this hill when I heard a snapping noise. So I stopped and jumped off the bike to find everything in the rear end all bent; rack, silencer, and frame. It appears that the strap came undone, wrapped around the axle and got so tight that it bent everything before snapping. I guess it was a pretty strong strap. Im going to have to figure out a new way to hold the tank on good.

Now I need to see if any of you guys have a left FMF PowerCore II silencer laying around. I got the frame straightening under control, and Im going to attempt to straighten the 6-pack rack.

2.jpg

3.jpg

oh, that sucks......i always knot the slack up somehow in straps, slam around for a bit, then check again......in your case, i would have cut the straps to fit.....have you tried to bend the silencer back to shape? i had to bend mine, too, and it came out just fine.

Shit man that sucks right there......

Funny thing is, same shit happened to me like 4 years ago. Had my lil jerry can strapped to my stock grab bar...went for a ride for a few hours, then hit a long lil whooped out section and then all of a sudden BAM...stopped dead in my tracks and smashed my chest protector on the bars. Motor stopped dead also...thought it locked up on me till i looked at the back to see my strap went loose and the strap AND jerry got caught up in the chain and sprocket and gas was going every where as the jerry was shredded to hell..shit was hilarious though.

But nothing got bent all up like yours damn.

that is a big bummer... this almost happen a few weeks ago i was hauling a gas can on the back of mine i heard the can rattling around stopped just in time it look like as the tie down had about a three foot flap hanging down by my axle..... but if you or someone you know can use a torch to bend items back into place you should be able to bend the pipe back into to place with out having to bend it with other tools... just applying heat to the right spots and letting it cool down will send it back to place...... we do this to truck frames and big D8 CATS when the frames get bent all the time..... you have to apply heat on the long side of the bend and let it cool... when it cools the metal shrinks and pulls the bend back in the pipe... this can be very time consuming to do.... i have done it on my truck exhaust when i ripped the motor out of the engine mounts it bent brand new exhaust so i know it works on exhaust just have never tried on something that small and thin before its worth a try its already messed up just dont blow a hole through the pipe....

I plan on bringing it to my shop this weekend when I get back from school, but my concern is that it kind of crushed the beginning of the silencer, like the bend is where the pipe meets the muffler at the weld. I hope I can salvage the rack, considering I just put it on.

take your silencer apart and the flange is actually pretty easy to straiten out with a sand pack and pliers. the tough part is straitening the core carefully. i cracked mine in the middle and had to stitch it back together durring a ride, then weld it....but it's strait now. :D