Poll: Coolant everyone uses

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We use Engine Ice in all of our race bikes & "Dad's Toy" (06 Banshee)

It's made by CycleLogic - a bit expensive but has never failed me & have excellent results with it.

Engine Ice reduces operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F and keeps boil over temps to 256 °F or less and freeze protection to -27° F.

will it hurt the motor using automotive coolant?

I use regular old Prestone mixed 50/50 with distillled water and then add Water Wetter at the recomended amount for the system capacity. I drain and flush every two years and put in a fresh mix. I have NEVER had a radiator or hose fail on me, or any head gasket problems, there is absolutely NO corrosion biuldup in any part of my cooling system and one of my bikes is an 89 that i have had new since 10/89. I didn't start using Water Wetter until about 1994. The only time I ever have a heating problem is if we are travelling with the wind at the same speed as the wind which results in no airflow over the radiator.

No it will not hurt your motor, but using fancy coolants will hurt your wallet.

lol local yamaha dealer told me that automotive coolants dont have the lubricating abilities as atv special coolants do. i just laughed because ive used 50/50 multi vehicle prestone in all my quads and never had a problem. 2002 banshee, 1999 foreman 450 es and a 1999 yamaha beartracker.

yah, you forgot the 2 most common in the poll..........engine ice ansd watter wetter.

that being said, i use dexcool (prestone) it actually has more lubricating properties than the aatv special coolants. when you rub it between your fingers, it actually feels like motor oil. plus, it's the only one that actually works in sub-zero temps. protection to sub-ero doesn't nescicarily mean that it will stay liquid. i ran through all the green and mixed compatibility coolants, and they would slush up around -10f. dexcool was the only one that actually stayed in liquid form past -30f. the protection point is just where it becomes a complete solid and expands. don't know why, but it would also actually overheat when it was slush. biggest think is to make sure your coolant stays in good condition, whatever you use....

yah, you forgot the 2 most common in the poll..........engine ice ansd watter wetter.

that being said, i use dexcool (prestone) it actually has more lubricating properties than the aatv special coolants. when you rub it between your fingers, it actually feels like motor oil. plus, it's the only one that actually works in sub-zero temps. protection to sub-ero doesn't nescicarily mean that it will stay liquid. i ran through all the green and mixed compatibility coolants, and they would slush up around -10f. dexcool was the only one that actually stayed in liquid form past -30f. the protection point is just where it becomes a complete solid and expands. don't know why, but it would also actually overheat when it was slush. biggest think is to make sure your coolant stays in good condition, whatever you use....

Ha ha i never even new about engine ice until today from all the replies. ive read that sometimes you can lose some seals because of engine ice? Is this true?