Taking packing out of pipes...

ok well i met a local guy with a drag banshee. and he looked at my bike and he told me that if i took out the packing and baffle out of my T5s. that it would make more power . is this true .. .. and i met another guy and he said i would loose power .. and over heat fast .. . so which guy is telling the truth ???? thanks ...

you need the packing on your silencers as matter of fact you should check it and if it is bad you need to put new pack on them.......this is because you need smoe kind of back pressure if not you will loose power.....i am not expert but if you read some articles about 2 stroke exhaust will give you an idea......

you need the packing on your silencers as matter of fact you should check it and if it is bad you need to put new pack on them.......this is because you need smoe kind of back pressure if not you will loose power.....i am not expert but if you read some articles about 2 stroke exhaust will give you an idea......

yeah i havent took it out or even tried it ... i always keep my pipes. with new packing ... because i never took it all out or any thing .. but when i put new packing it felt like it runs better..

from you sig i see you ride pismo, do yourself and everybody else a favor and leave the silencers on and packed. The tree hugger fags and locals are already trying their best to shut us down, cause they can hear the bikes in town on the weekends. Personally i think its all the douchebags with the 4 pokes as that sound carries farther but non the less all the power in the world wont do you any good if they shut down your riding spots. Not trying to be a debby downer, but seriously, and i promise you wouldnt notice the difference in performance

K i will argue this one till the day I die. If you pull the core out of your silencer and take a look it's a straight threw shot so the packing will not do a damn thing for back pressure. Think of it this way if necking it down from that big apple bottom of a bell on the front of the pipes to that little itty bitty pipe that runs out the back dose not ful fill your back pressure needs that hunk of rolled up fiberglass aint going to help you in the least lil bit! The only draw backs I can see to running with out your packing is A: it's loud( I don't think buy much but that's me) B: with out the packing you have a tube with holes punched in it running threw a larger tube that creates a chamber wear exhaust can get lost and bounce around creating turbulence. That will affect flow of the exhaust just like a some thing odd shaped in the intake path will affect your intake charge. To what extent this all works I have no idea( I don't have a flow bench to find out) and your mileage may very!

If you have holes in the stinger tube core (in the middle of the silencer) leave the packing in.

The ONLY reason to run pipes with stinger tubes (NOT silencers without packing) is to hear your bike better for racing, to not miss shift points, hear if it's lean, etc.

There is NO performance to be gained by removing the packing other than the half pound of weight you may loose.

And as said...if you ride in an area that is touchy about sound, or has mandates for it, that's an even better reason to leave it packed.

No bike with silencers I've ever seen (Toomey, PC, FMF, Trinity, CPI, Shearer, rockets, PT and DG) has a straight through pipe, they all have holes so the packing can deaden the sound.

I have one buddy that welded straight through pipes on his out of frame Shearer drag pipes.

It is obnoxiously loud...louder than stinger tube bikes....but that's only because the original pipes cracked/broke and he didn't want to buy new silencers.

I had stinger tubes on my bike for one race. Put the silencers back on right after that. No performance gain...only sound. And I run at closed course drag race tracks...not public riding areas.