CDI question

apeik

All year CDI's are interchangeable. There is no differance other than the plug design from one year to the next.

NOT TRUE, 96 and older CDIs do not have the wire that goes to the park brake and won' t let it rev up. Also, different plugs mean they are not interghangeable- either the CDI box or the wire harness has to be modified to make it work. However, if the plug is the same, then you can interchange the CDI box.

NOT TRUE, 96 and older CDIs do not have the wire that goes to the park brake and won' t let it rev up. Also, different plugs mean they are not interghangeable- either the CDI box or the wire harness has to be modified to make it work. However, if the plug is the same, then you can interchange the CDI box.

Heard of TORS? Remove it and problem solved. All years ARE interchangeable. The only differance is the years that didnt have the parking brake. But the parking brake isn't what keeps it from reving, it's the TORS.

The tors were removed a long time ago, i ended up getting a new cdi and just switching my plugs to it(leaving the parking brake lead cut/sealed), instant fat blue spark. Bottom line, my cdi was fried. Thanks for the replies :ph34r:

Heard of TORS? Remove it and problem solved. All years ARE interchangeable. The only differance is the years that didnt have the parking brake. But the parking brake isn't what keeps it from reving, it's the TORS.

WRONG, when I bougjt my wife's bike the TORS was removed- it had a twist throttle, standard Mikuni carb tops-not the OEM Yamaha ones, and the little black box under the left side was off the bike, so the TORS was definetly removed. If the park brake was set it would not rev up and it would miss and sputter. If you look at a wiring diagram, you will see the green wire goes from the CDI box to the park brake switch. Yamaha did this so you couldn't ride the bike with the park brake set. I have since done away with the green wire completely, as well as the park brake and it now revs freely always. Once again, only 97 and newer have this. Also. in my opinion, interchangeable means it can be installed without having to modify something!

So the e-brake kept your bike from revving and not the Throttle Over Ride System? Man you must have your self one speical Banshee there.

Like said all years of the cdi are interchangable. Nothing in the Banshee ignition has changed since 1987. Only change was the brake light switch thing, which does NOT control the rev of the motor, the TORS does. There are three differant plug designs, but all years cdi internals funtion the same way, there for they are interchangable.

So the e-brake kept your bike from revving and not the Throttle Over Ride System? Man you must have your self one speical Banshee there.

Like said all years of the cdi are interchangable. Nothing in the Banshee ignition has changed since 1987. Only change was the brake light switch thing, which does NOT control the rev of the motor, the TORS does. There are three differant plug designs, but all years cdi internals funtion the same way, there for they are interchangable.

So if the TORS was removed completely and the bike wouldn't rev up when the park brake was on and then it would rev up when the park brake was released, what was keeping it from revving? TORS stands for Throttle Over Ride System and is designed to prevent accidents from a stuck throttle- if the thumb throttle is in the idle position and the carb slides are not, the switches in both throttle and carbs are open and the TORS kills the power to the ignition, so it is not a rev control, it is an ignition control. STUDY a wiring diagram and learn how this stuff works, I have been a professional mechanic for 25 years and know how to read a wiring diagram, schematics and other technical documents.Also, I know of two other Banshees with TORS removed that still have their park brake on the bike and function this way.

Edited by bansheesandrider

Well then your TORS was not removed all the way. I am fairly sure I under stand what the TORS is and does, but what do I know...

If the TORS box under the gas tank is unplugged and removed from the bike, the bike has a twist throttle on it so the throttle is unplugged, and the carb tops have been replaced with standard Mikuni round tops so the carb switches have been disconnected, what is left to remove the TORS system. If you look at the wiring diagram the green wire is only connected to the park brake switch and the CDI box- when the park brake is set it grounds that wire and when the CDI box sees ground on that wire internal circuitry in the box will only let it rev to a certain RPM while the brake is set. In no way is the green wire coonected to the TORS except possibly a shared ground wire.

Edited by bansheesandrider