HELP! Does it need a bore and hone?

59bisquik

Last season, I had an air filter come off and both carbs were FULL of sand!I cleaned out the carbs but the bike just wouldnt run right. One cylinder felt good and the other seemed to be running at about half power. There wasnt much exhaust coming out of that cylinder. With an el-cheapo borescope the cylinder looked scored. I took it apart today expecting to see a disaster. However, the cylinders dont looked scored to me. Take a look and tell me what you guys think! Help...what do I do??

The cylinder on the left is the questionable one...looks like there has been an issue there before. Anything need to be done here?

DSCF3027.jpg

Both Pistons. What do the numbers mean?

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3033.jpg

Good Cylinder

DSCF3030.jpg

Questionable Cylinder

DSCF3031.jpg

Reeds...seems like some of them dont seal very well.

DSCF3032.jpg

Not really sure what a borescope is, but you compression before tear down would have been a good indication of needing a rebuild.

You cant look at the bores and tell if you need a re bore or hone unless you grenaded something. You need to measure the bores with a bore gauge top middle and bottom in two directions to measure taper and out of round.

Don't try measure it with vernier calipers, you will be wasting your time. get it measured at a reputable shop or better yet send your jugs to a site sponsor. That way you wont get fucked over and end up buying junk like Namura pistons or something.

If i were you i would split the cases and inspect/clean all the bearings on the crank. Think about this. How does the air/fuel/oil charge get into the 2 stroke cylinder. It goes through the bottom end first. So if you got enough sand in the cylinders to do damage, it more than likely damaged the bottom end first. Just my .02

There was actually no scuffing of anything on the cylinders and pistons. Looks like I just had some sand in the carbs and looks like it needed new reeds. They wouldnt stay closed!. I sent the cylinders off to be on the safe side. I will flush the case good before It goes back together.

HJR said its about a 5 day turnaround.

Edited by 59bisquik