Are the rings bad?

YZF350

As mentioned in your previous thread, download the manual above or buy the book and read up on your engine. Most of your questions will be answered there as well.

B

I thought this was a forum where we can ask questions and the experienced can help out?

Chris

Well, I bought my manual so I didn't have to WAIT for someone see my post, look up specification, post it, me read it, apply new found knowledge. Or maybe someone will just tell you to do a search. Carbon on top of piston is normal, it is from the oil that is burned during combustion.Should have done compression test before teardown. Hard starting could be caused by several things other than low compression. Bad plugs, bad fuel, poor spark (many causes), bad reeds, dirty carbs, choke tube( carb to carb) not on. I haven't been on here for long but have found it helps to be more specific with questions, list mods, elevation, temp, fuel, etc. You will find that the manual is invaluable for MOST questions, it will tell you everthing EXCEPT which way to shake your Willie. Only mistake in manual is how to test coil (I think).

I havw cleaned all carbs and sync'd them, new plugs, and tested compression and new 1/4 lines on carbs.

I have done all the above, I need and answer b/c the bike is up for sale and really need to sell it b/c I am

going back into the military and leaving in next 2 weeks. I don't have time to shake my willie and need and answer

so I can get the damn bike fixed ASAP. Know what I mean buddy?

How do you know when the rings on pistions are bad?

low compression

Piston has carbon build-up on it. This normal?

yes

Just broken down the motor and looked......

yea?

didnt touch?

shake your willie while looking?

what colour powerbands?

Hard as hell to kick start it--compression was bad.....

answered your own first question, get the barrel to a machine shop to see if they are within their limits, if so get them honed and get a new set of rings

And radiator was dead empty.

yea when you drain the coolant the radiator will become empty

Edited by doorslammer

How do you know when the rings on pistions are bad?

low compression

Rings can need replaced for many other reasons than low comp. I will do an article soon on that. Basically, wide ring end gap = a gap = blow by = local piston heating = dead piston. All while pumping up "stock" or "good" comp numbers.

B