How to change pistons?

YZF350

Your compression is reading at 35-50? You more than likely need more than just pistons you will need a bore/hone job also. Once your compression starts to drop below 90 that is when I go up in bore.

What you do is take the head off make sure you drain your radiator fluid. After the head is off you take off the 4 nuts (per cylinder) that hold the cylinders on and then pop the cylinders off sliding the piston and crank rod out from the bottom of the cylinder.

Then take the circlip out that holds the piston to the crank rod and slide out the pin and the piston should come off. Do the same for the other side.

Also if your cylinders aren't ported, now would be a good time to think about doing it since you got it apart the site sponsers do great port work. Do a forum search there are more companies out there that do great work as well.

If your compression is seriously down to 35-50's you will see a big difference in how she runs. It couldn't have been running too good with that low compression. I'm pretty sure with stock head your compression should be around 120 or 130 I can't remember some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Let us know how it goes.

Get a clymers manual first off, best investment you can get...

I figure you didnt hold throttle wide open while kicking, so it won't climb as far as it should..but i may be wrong..does tester have same length threads as plugs?

And before taking jugs off make sure you drain the coolant out of the jugs like a 10mm bolt on the side of each ..if not when you pull it off the deck all that coolant will run in the bottom end

Edit: kodie you out of cambridge?? I'm out by st. clairsville ever go out pogues?

Edited by Idontknowwhy

This may be crazy but Im still learing abit. So when I checked the compression I took out one plug and inserted the tested by screwing it in--kept the other plug in. Then I kicked the bike hard and it read 35-50.

The only way the bike starts if I jump it in 2nd gear--pushing it or pulling it with a vehicle and barely wants to start....but can get it running.....

Did you hold throttle wide open when kicking til needle stops on gauge?

Ok, just took off the motor and took head off. Are the piston rings suppose to spin freely?

The pistions have a good bit of carbon on them. Is this normal?

The needle bearings look like they are in good condition.

What you think?

Chris

Ok, just took off the motor and took head off. Are the piston rings suppose to spin freely?

The pistions have a good bit of carbon on them. Is this normal?

The needle bearings look like they are in good condition.

What you think?

Chris

I'm willing to bet you will need a bore/hone job and some new pistons. If your only reading 35-50 on the tester.

Yes your pistons are normal are the juggs still on it or off?

Edit: kodie you out of cambridge?? I'm out by st. clairsville ever go out pogues?

Hell ya cambridge st clairsville is only like 40 miles away... I've enver heard of pogues wheres it at?

I went to like the past 8 powerline parks you ever go there?

yeah, I kicked it about ten times on each cylinder testing it to make sure it wans't a bad reading.

I just broken down and bought a clymers manual online 30 bones.

How will I know if I need to hone out the cylinder? And yes, the jugs are still on.

I really just want to keep the bike stock b/c I don't know that much and scared I am gonna fuck something up, you know?

well the low compression is a sign that you need to go up in pistons with a bore and hone job it happens to everyone eventually your cylinders just wear down and need freshend up with bore/hone and some new pistons. are your cylinders scared or scratched?