worth running without the lid ?

hey guys, i mainly ride with 2 450's, now i can beat (not by heaps) one of the 450's (not the other as its a 2 wheeler) and the 2 wheeler and i are gonna play a game on the yfz450. I have given the 2 wheeler a vortex ignition and im thinking about ditching the airbox or just running it with no lid and jet it up a tad just to beat the yfz450 even more (which he will really hate because he rekons he's gonna beat me next time. We arnt gonna tell the yfz450 that we have done anything and just say that his bike must be on its last legs and worn out and going slower. Now the question, is removing the lid (or whole airbox) going to give me much more of a gain (i have no snorkle with 12 vent in the box) to make the differance with a few bike lengths ?.

and would running without the lid be the same as running no airbox at all ?

thanx.

Running no lid is not like running no air box running no air box at all alows you to suck unrestricted amounts of air into the carb my shee will barely even run with a air box and falls on its face and die with a box and lid installed

There might be a small difference running no lid compared to vents. I prefer no lid. It does make a difference compared to having a lid. Also keeping the box helps keep mud and water off the filter. But if you don't run in mud or water, take it all off.

sweet as thanx fellaz, yeh its coming into spring now so most of the wet weather has pissed off. Ill run it without the lid and bump up the jets, id love to run just the pods because it looks so much neater but i do ride in some pretty wet conditions some times, rather be safe than sorry.

i take it with no lid you take that little bung out of the bottom of the airbox to let water out then ?

thanx