Problem Found! Corrosion around Flywheel and Stator

I_Ride

Well, I have been trying to troubleshoot why my banshee doesn't want to spark. Most things tested good, bought a new coil, and nothing worked. So I decided to check the stator and flywheel out. After removing the flywheel cover it was obvious I had a corrosion problem and I am thinking that it is the cause of my problems.

I guess I had some sort of leak in the seal and it just started to corrode and now it will not generate any electricity. Here are some pics.

BansheeCoilRust001.jpg

BansheeCoilRust002.jpg

BansheeCoilRust003.jpg

I am pretty excited that I finally found the problem but I am hoping that a good cleaning will be the solution to this mess. When something like this happens I wouldn't think that anything would be terminally damaged and should still work once it is cleaned well.

So, how should go about cleaning this thing? What type of solvent should I use? WD40? Or is it to risky since there may be a fire risk? Some sort of electrical terminal cleaner?

What should I do next?

Honestly, i would pull the flywheel off and have a good look at the damage. If that was mine i would be buying a new stator and pick up coil for sure...that it pretty bad man....ive only seen one that was worse ever and it was garbage. You might be able to get away with the flywheel still...but wont know till you pull it off with the proper flywheel puller.

You got to make sure, that the rubber gasket under the stator cover is sealed good..i use i lil bit of RTV gasket maker in a tube and put a bead around it as well as the rubber gasket...water will never get in.

But go ahead and pull that flywheel off and take a look...i would clean all that shit off with solvent or gas with a small wire brush.

Have a look in the for sale...im pretty sure there is a stator/pick up coil and flywheel for cheep in there right now.

Just hope its not as bad as this one lol...proly is though

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh103/fastfamily4/STATOR.jpg

Edited by savage420

Oh no, I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as that one is!

Most of the stuff I could nearly blow off myself. I haven't touched it yet though but it was pretty much powder it seemed like.

I'm looking for a flywheel puller, I know I have to get one for the banshee but is there any way to judge which ones are good and bad quality on e-bay? Or should they all be the same thing?

Gnarly Dude!!!!!! Please do not use gas for cleaning!!! Use kerosene or fuel oil if necessasary clean that off with nonflamibile brake cleaner. I see a high water mark on flywheel, X-2 on rtv on rubber gasket. Also seal around wires and check small rubber plug at bottom where RZ neutral wire would be. Use a 3-M scotch brite pad to clean it up. If there is bad rust on flywheel might want to replace, if not bad clean up and light paint job then clean off pick-up lugs on outside of flywheel. Getting flywheel off might be real bite!!!! good luck!!!

Larry,

Do you think there is any need to take the flywheel off? My father is saying that it shouldn't have to come off, and like you said just clean the entire flywheel then the pickup lugs is all he said that I should need to do. Paint it? With what, some sort of rustoleum or something?

I have been cleaning the thing with WD-40, will that be safe?

My father suggested just cleaning the flywheel up good and everywhere else as best I can then see if I get a good spark, if so then I'm good to go, if not then go and tackle the flywheel and get to the stator. Sound like a good idea?

Larry,

Do you think there is any need to take the flywheel off? My father is saying that it shouldn't have to come off, and like you said just clean the entire flywheel then the pickup lugs is all he said that I should need to do. Paint it? With what, some sort of rustoleum or something?

I have been cleaning the thing with WD-40, will that be safe?

My father suggested just cleaning the flywheel up good and everywhere else as best I can then see if I get a good spark, if so then I'm good to go, if not then go and tackle the flywheel and get to the stator. Sound like a good idea?

Why not just take it off now and do it right the first time?

You NEED to see what condition the stator is in and that means taking the flywheel off.

Do it once do it right, or your going to be chasing your tail IMO.

Well, I have been trying to troubleshoot why my banshee doesn't want to spark. Most things tested good, bought a new coil, and nothing worked. So I decided to check the stator and flywheel out. After removing the flywheel cover it was obvious I had a corrosion problem and I am thinking that it is the cause of my problems.

I guess I had some sort of leak in the seal and it just started to corrode and now it will not generate any electricity. Here are some pics.

BansheeCoilRust001.jpg

BansheeCoilRust002.jpg

BansheeCoilRust003.jpg

I am pretty excited that I finally found the problem but I am hoping that a good cleaning will be the solution to this mess. When something like this happens I wouldn't think that anything would be terminally damaged and should still work once it is cleaned well.

So, how should go about cleaning this thing? What type of solvent should I use? WD40? Or is it to risky since there may be a fire risk? Some sort of electrical terminal cleaner?

What should I do next?

THATS PROBABLY NOT THE PROBLEM....the pic you just took on my shee the whole thing is rusted and it still starts LOL its a 99