New Coil and still no SPARK! What next?

I_Ride

Well I recieved my new coil from Rickey Stator, before I installed it I tested it with my voltmeter and it didn't read any different than my old stator did which seemed a little odd. (with the old stator, I would get a spark every once and while, maybe 1 out of 10 kicks so I figured it was weak spark and bought a new coil).

With the new coil installed, I try to start the bike, 30 kicks and nothing. So I remove the spark plug and check for spark, none at all. So I immediatly think to myself, wow just wasted money on a new coil, great.

So then I do some reading in my Clymers manual and some other electrical information that I had printed out from the net to come up with something else to test. So I test the pickup coil.

I checked between the red and white wire and the green and white wire and I read about 120 Ohms, so I figured this was good. Then I read that I might should check the gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel tabs. But inorder to do that I have to remove the flywheel and get access to the stator. Problem is I don't have a flywheel puller tool so I thought I would ask on here if I should invest in one or not?

The problem I was having in the beginning was that I was not getting a good spark (or so I think). because when I would test for spark it would only spark about 1 out of 10 kicks on the right plug and wouldn't spark at all on the left plug.

Since that was the problem, I haven't yet tested the kill switch or the key switch. Should I check them or are they definately not my problem?

I am guessing that my only other problems would have to be either my stator or my CDI??????

Thanks for all the help guys!

just from my experiance. when i got my shee the guys said there was no spark. and when i got it home he was right no spark. so i replaced the flywheel oneday no spark, stator the next no spark, and coil and still no spark. so i thought it was the cdi. so i picked one up and still no spark. well after a few phone calls from the guys on this forum and tested everything and tried everything. well one day again i was on the phone with aguy off here on the forum and he asked me if i had still had teh key switch attached and i said no. well the 2 wires that connect to the switch were seperated once i connected them bam the bitch started up with him on the phone its like hot wireing a car. so my question is have you checked everything make sure your clearances are good on the stator to the flywheel. the plug boots are sometimes an issue as well. do you still have your key switch. also what about tors that will cause a no spark issue as well. others will chime in as well i am sure. sorry for the long drawn out post. good luck and let us know what you find.

Check the boots at the spark plugs.

You know, I have never gotten a reading from the spark plug boots. On my last coil which would spark everyone and a while I could never get a reading. On this new coil I could never get a reading before I ever installed it. To test them I am putting one lead on the (-) stud on the coil and the other inside one of the spark plug boots, I wiggle it around alot watching for the needle to just but never anything. My Ohm meter is on it's lowest setting also (10x).

Today I will have to bypass the kill switch and the key, that is something I haven't done yet because I was getting a small spark with my old coil so I figured if it would get some spark then the connection much be good, but maybe it's not good enough.

Thanks for the replies guys!

sounds like a CDI prob, my wifes 94 did that, swapped coils, stators, then bit the bullet and bought a cdi. Ran like a champ after that..... what year is your bike? maybe an HQ member near you will let you try theirs before you buy one, if you are anywhere near tulsa oklahoma let me know, id be happy to help... and PS, I have never seen a bad coil on a banshee. not that they dont exist, but you have better luck finding bigfoot than finding a coil thats actually bad..

sinister,

It is a 2003, what would the years have to do with it?

CDI, so I'm looking at about a $100 investment? Yeah, it would be nice if I could find someone who would let me try theirs. I will have to do some searching localy and see what I can come up with. Would the bad CDI cause only one spark plug to fire 1 out of 10 times and the other not fire at all?

Basically what I am asking is would a bad CDI mean that I would have absolutely no spark or just very little spark?

Edited by I_Ride

I checked between the red and white wire and the green and white wire and I read about 120 Ohms, so I figured this was good. Then I read that I might should check the gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel tabs. But inorder to do that I have to remove the flywheel and get access to the stator. Problem is I don't have a flywheel puller tool so I thought I would ask on here if I should invest in one or not?

Maybe I read that wrong, but why would you have to remove the flywheel to check for the air gap? You MUST leave it on and check both nubs....am I missing something?

Here's the best electrical advice any seasoned banshee owner can give you.

Stay away from ANYTHING Ricky Stator. Period.

Junk. Back in the day, his products were great. Now they're just Chinese made garbage.

I would be checking all wires and making sure I had a good chassis ground as well. Hotwire the kill switch (remove it) just to check for the hell of it. I've seen bad kill switches do real, real shitty things.

Buy OEM electrical for a banshee. Even if it's used on ebay, it's still better than R Stator garbage!

Maybe I read that wrong, but why would you have to remove the flywheel to check for the air gap? You MUST leave it on and check both nubs....am I missing something?

Here's the best electrical advice any seasoned banshee owner can give you.

Stay away from ANYTHING Ricky Stator. Period.

Junk. Back in the day, his products were great. Now they're just Chinese made garbage.

I would be checking all wires and making sure I had a good chassis ground as well. Hotwire the kill switch (remove it) just to check for the hell of it. I've seen bad kill switches do real, real shitty things.

Buy OEM electrical for a banshee. Even if it's used on ebay, it's still better than R Stator garbage!

how long ago was his day??

longer than i can remember