New top end compression? And clutch chatter?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good.I would cut your head some,depending on if you want to run race gas or not.Get some pods and jet accordingly.You will keep upgrading,trust me.Never enough H.P.cool.gif

I would like to stay on pumpgas just because its a hella lot cheaper. What are "pods"? and yes I'll have to rejet it. I'm good friends with the owner of the yamaha dealership in town and they have a dyno, so I'll prolly throw it on the dyno to get it mapped and tuned properly. How much HP just guessing, do you think I'll have at that point with a dune/play port on shrearer pipes. WIth the Shrearer pipes, I will need the "small bore" pipes correct? ALso, with all that, will I be able to kick a 700 raptor and a yfz 450's ass??

Edited by KickStartMyHeart

let me give you a little advice from my past experience. Dont fall for the more is better when it comes to motor. I have a421 cub with all the bells and wistles and basically it sucked as a dune bike. Was it fast hell yeah, but for general duning which includes some tight stuff and tree shots in oregon, it sucked.. That bike will now be drag only. I just put together a little 350 dune/play port from jeff at FAST and the bike is a damn blast. You do not need shearers or cpis if your goal is to have a fun dune bike that can beat most 450s and 700s in the occasional drag race. My bike has toomey t5s, Jeffs play port, +5 timing and 180 compression(requires race gas) along with stock carbs, and it is a runner. It surprises the hell out of everybody that has ridden it so far. The power is extremely linear and has great pull all the way around.

let me give you a little advice from my past experience. Dont fall for the more is better when it comes to motor. I have a421 cub with all the bells and wistles and basically it sucked as a dune bike. Was it fast hell yeah, but for general duning which includes some tight stuff and tree shots in oregon, it sucked.. That bike will now be drag only. I just put together a little 350 dune/play port from jeff at FAST and the bike is a damn blast. You do not need shearers or cpis if your goal is to have a fun dune bike that can beat most 450s and 700s in the occasional drag race. My bike has toomey t5s, Jeffs play port, +5 timing and 180 compression(requires race gas) along with stock carbs, and it is a runner. It surprises the hell out of everybody that has ridden it so far. The power is extremely linear and has great pull all the way around.

I put my quad on the dyno last night and it made 49 hp on a smoked up clutch and running super lean. All I have is T-6 pipes and a bored .030 with wiseco pistons. Everything else is completley stock. My friend is a machinest in town here and he offered to port my cylinders for me for $250. I don't want to get radical with this quad. I would like to get 65-70 hp outta it and still run pumpgas and stock head if possible. I still have the stock crankshaft....so with 65 hp, will I need to have a welded crank? I got a new clutch on order and new pilots to get some more fuel into the cylinders. My goal is to have an all round quad with some power. I only go to the dunes prolly 4-6 times a year so a dune port isn't really crucial. If i could get it ported to just clean up the cylinders and make the flow less restrictive I'd be happy.

pilot jets are for idle.You may need to adjust your neeedle and go bigger on the mains if your that lean.Also,shearer pipes are drag,they work good for me in the dunes though.Thats pretty much all my bike sees.T-5's are more all around.I think the more comp.you run is when you need to weld the crank.

I'm not a huge fan of my t-6's. I like the looks of the CPI's but I don't wanna port the cylinders and tear the damn thing apart again. So with that being said, I'll try and find some t-5's or some exhaust that makes more power than the t-6's. If I could run the CPI's, I would, but I think I'll lose all bottom end power. On the otherhand, a banshee doesn't have much bottom end from what I know (which isn't much). Any thoughts on running CPI small bore pipes on my set up???

FYI, I would have the crank welded at ANY horsepower level. I have had 2 of them separate on piped bikes. I wish you could ride the little 350 i just put together with FAST play port. If you are telling me your bike put down 49 with pipes, mine is easily 65. Im not into dynos and the bike will never see one, but i guarantee this thing will embarass any piped shee and most of your run of the mill 4 pokes. It is a blast to ride. Great power everywhere and smooth. As said earlier, pass on your buddies offer, call up Jeff at FAST or kevin at HJR, or any of the builders that sponsor here. Tell them what you want to do and they will tell you how to get there. But trust me bigger isn't always better.

Rubberneck, I think you're right on "bigger is not always better". My friend builds drag banshee's. He has 4 drag banshee's and he just built his wife one. He's a good dude, but I'm not sure if I trust em enuff to go porting my cylinders. My other friend I just got back from sandfest with has a 100 hp banshee and I rode it and it just isn't that fun to ride actually. Tons of power yes!...but usable power for most of my style of riding...NO! I should have the clutch in tonight along with bigger jets and hopefully have another dyno run 2morrow to get it dialed in exact. I will scan in the dyno sheet and post it if I can get it all done before I leave for Michigan tomorrow. Here's a thought...I could keep my T-6's and do a mild port instead of buying new pipes and porting on top of that and then having it rejetted again??? I ordered a Barnett "Dirt Digger" clutch, so hopefully it will last me a while. I'm just torn in between what I want and what i need lol!! I don't want a 100 hp banshee, I'd like to have a 65 hp banshee and whoop up on some 4 strokes. I'm sorry, but I can't stand 4 strokes. I will NEVER own one. I enjoy tinkering with the 2 strokes and of course the exhaust sound of a winding 2 stroke lol!! As soon as I get it off the dyno, I will post pics of the dyno sheet. I'm hoping for 55 hp with a new clutch and jets. I just purchased a tors eliminator kit yesterday to get rid of those ugly chicken heads on the carbs. Anyone have any input on eliminator kits?