Banshee newb

Hello everyone, my name is Dave. I just got an opportunity to buy a 96 Banshee for around 400$.

One thing about the buy is that its all torn apart, the guy who im buying from has all the parts though(so he says). Another is it needs the motor repaired. Im guessing from what he said is that he bent a rod or something, I saw the head to this thing and it was only nicked up a little bit. Thats all i saw of it.

I have been reading all day about Banshees and i have really started to like them, I think they are awesome!

Im still a little new to quads but iv been around cars all my life, so i know how to turn a wrench. Would it be worth it to get this thing and built it back together? What would you think i would be looking at paying to fix the motor? I can put it back together for sure, just wonder what machine work ill be looking at.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks!

Dave

Hello everyone, my name is Dave. I just got an opportunity to buy a 96 Banshee for around 400$.

One thing about the buy is that its all torn apart, the guy who im buying from has all the parts though(so he says). Another is it needs the motor repaired. Im guessing from what he said is that he bent a rod or something, I saw the head to this thing and it was only nicked up a little bit. Thats all i saw of it.

I have been reading all day about Banshees and i have really started to like them, I think they are awesome!

Im still a little new to quads but iv been around cars all my life, so i know how to turn a wrench. Would it be worth it to get this thing and built it back together? What would you think i would be looking at paying to fix the motor? I can put it back together for sure, just wonder what machine work ill be looking at.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks!

Dave

Why was the bike torn down and not put back together? If you have never worked on a banshee and your basically going to pick up the puzzle pieces and start rebuilding you had better have a manual. $400 isn't to bad if everything else other then the engine is still together and in good shape. Not knowing what else needs to be done to it to get it trail worthy can start going into deep pockets fast. I would say if you have $400 sitting around and time to work on it have at it. I have done this before with a dirt bike and had nothing but headaches and money being spend left and right to get it in the condition I wanted it. Would I do it again? No. I would just save my money and get something that you can hop on and hit the trails. My $ .02

Good Luck.

If you want a project or hobby go for it. Unless the rest of it is primo you won't make much on it. Crank+rods 550, used 100+, cyl bore 60 ea, piston 97. Just got gaskets, seal kit, piston rings, screw kit $140 from Vitos (w/tax). You get the picture. It usually ends up costing more than you first figure. Most of all have fun and welcome to BHQ.

Thanks for the advice guys! I think im going to go for it, I cant see it being completely torn apart. I also have a buddy that is big into 4 wheelers, he wants to help me get it going so I have my own quad to ride instead of beating on his Honda's.

I have found the service manual on the site, I hope that comes in handy. Im going to pick up the banshee this week, ill let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again guys!

Dave

Edited by MoparDave