Swingarm axle noise

mofoka

So i was rocking the shee side to side because there was a clank/chunk noise and noticed there is about a 1/4" of play on the right side of the swingarm at the axle..... WTF

I'm thinking it might be from when i went ass over tea kettle on my last trip. What do you think it could be???? Are the bearings gone or it the swinger crap? Has anyone had that same issue, or could it be something else?

btw I know I should just take off the swinger but i don't have time until next week. I wouldn't mind getting a head start on ordering parts if I need them too.

thanks again fellas

Proly your carrier bearings are on there way out or are already done, no need to pull the swing arm off, just the carrier.

Now would be a good time to drill and tap the carrier and put in a grease zerk. also when you do this you HAVE TO pry lightly a seal off on one side off both bearings and face them inwards so when you go and grease them through the zerk, grease will get into the bearings and not stopped by the seal on the bearings them self.

Understand what im saying about pulling one seal off the bearings and facing them at each other? If not just ask.

Before you put the new ones in clean the hell outta the carrier and get the shavings out . Then dry completely then pack almost full of bearing grease.

Here is a pic of where i put my grease zerk on my carrier and my swinger.

I also put a grease zerk in everything else that pivots in the suspension front and back also.

greasezerks003.jpg

greasezerks004.jpg

Edited by savage420

I will be putting nipples on for sure. Thanks for the idea

I won't put it past the axle bearings being bad so I'll change them. But there is visible movement at the pivot area. What would cause 1/4" of movement there? Worn bearings or....?

Which pivot area?

Where the swing arm connects to the frame or in the carrier that the axle rides in?

If there's movement side to side/front to back replace them and make sure to put the seals in fully and properly.

Edited by savage420

The play I'm talking about is where the swing arm connects to the frame.

I still haven't checked the rear axle yet.

It seems surprising that the bering would cause that much play, but if it's just the berings then i'm not too concerned. I'm more worried if I damaged the swingarm.