Reading Anthracite Notice

Meat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The $100 permit fee is not terribly expensive. I suppose it beats the hassle and expense of fines and charges.

Besides the possibility of fines, whats just as bad is if you drive all that distance to get here only to get kicked off the land. Last year Micheal Jackson came here to ride from NJ. His crew parked at the area I call "the Flats". They got some riding time in, and when they got back to their trucks, the Statie was waiting for em. They didn't have permits, they didn't get fined, but the cop made em leave. They drove all that way... only to ride for an hour and get then booted off the land. Now that would suck.

MJ, tell us about your experience last year with the State cop.

That is how some of the dunes are out here as well. $120 for an annual pass to Dumont, $90 without the "big holiday" surcharge, or $30 for a seven day (Holidays: New Years, ,MLK, President's, Hallowen, T-Day). $30 for the CA out of state sticker.

I agree, I would hate to make the trip and then get the boot and/or a fine. It is worth it to just pay it and suck it up. I don't want to be one of the many that contribute to the closure of another riding area. They say ALL the money is put back into the riding areas/rangers/facilities. All I have to say about that is: :yelrotflmao:

To be fair: Especially on the big weekends, if people do not do stupid stuff (like the stripper pole truck, drinking and riding, helmets, etc.), the rangers generally will leave people alone...

Someone just sent me a PM telling me that a coupla guys think that I am flat-out lying about the notice that Reading Anthracite posted in the May 25th Shamokin News paper. The suggestion was that I was "making up bullshit" to "scare out of towners away from my riding area". So I just searched my house and I can't find the newspaper to take a picture. But I can prove it was in the paper.... I want the guy who made the claim that I am lying to please call the guy who informed me about the notice in the paper. The guy who informed me of the notice is friends with you. He is from Shamokin and his initials are CQ. Not too many guys with the last name that begins with "Q", so you should know who i'm talking about. Please call CQ ASAP and ask him if he saw the notice in the Shamokin newspaper on May 25th. Then ask him if he told Denny about this notice. After CQ told me it was in the newspaper, I went and bought a paper, I read it and thought it was very important to post the notice. The words I typed in the very first post in this thread are typed word-for-word exactly what was in the newspaper notice. If someone has the May 25th paper, its in the second half of the newspaper, I guess thats the sports section, its on the left hand side of the paper, its a 5x5 inch notice with "READING ANTHRACITE" in the title.

Why didn't the guy calling me a liar come to this thread and ask me for more details ? I kept the newspaper for a few days, but I can't find it now. I could have easily snapped a picture and then you wouldn't have had to claim im a liar.

Here I was thinking all along that I was doing a good thing with this thread :confused:

Someone just sent me a PM telling me that a coupla guys think that I am flat-out lying about the notice that Reading Anthracite posted in the May 25th Shamokin News paper. The suggestion was that I was "making up bullshit" to "scare out of towners away from my riding area". So I just searched my house and I can't find the newspaper to take a picture. But I can prove it was in the paper.... I want the guy who made the claim that I am lying to please call the guy who informed me about the notice in the paper. The guy who informed me of the notice is friends with you. He is from Shamokin and his initials are CQ. Not too many guys with the last name that begins with "Q", so you should know who i'm talking about. Please call CQ ASAP and ask him if he saw the notice in the Shamokin newspaper on May 25th. Then ask him if he told Denny about this notice. After CQ told me it was in the newspaper, I went and bought a paper, I read it and thought it was very important to post the notice. The words I typed in the very first post in this thread are typed word-for-word exactly what was in the newspaper notice. If someone has the May 25th paper, its in the second half of the newspaper, I guess thats the sports section, its on the left hand side of the paper, its a 5x5 inch notice with "READING ANTHRACITE" in the title.

Why didn't the guy calling me a liar come to this thread and ask me for more details ? I kept the newspaper for a few days, but I can't find it now. I could have easily snapped a picture and then you wouldn't have had to claim im a liar.

Here I was thinking all along that I was doing a good thing with this thread :confused:

You are doing a good thing and the majority of us appreciate it, so don't let some freak get you down. :thanks:

so you think we should all get permits if we're coming down on June 20th and only spending one day?

Sanzi. I would'nt waste your money. I park there every weekend without any problems. I even talked to the local cop a time or 2. He could care less, tresspassing's Reading Anth's problem.

By the way. The local cop goes there to watch guys climb hills. Just dont have a beer in hand when he see's you.

Thats because he was a local cop they dont give a damn. Try waiting around for the state boys and see what they have to say. Anybody who read the post should just thank the person that wrote it he is just trying to help out his fellow Banshee riders.

Thats kinda like if you were sitting on a corner puffing on a splif and I tell you that there is a cop around the corner. Now are you going to walk around the corner with the splif in your hand or are you going to put it out and walk the other way. Were I come from we take warnings seriosly. If you tell me there is a cpo taking radar up the street I'm not going to go speeding by just to see that would be plain stupid. So for anybody who just cant say thank you for letting me know take you ass up there and find out for yourself and let us know what happened when you get back. I know I wouldnt waste a 3 hour ride just to be told to go home or to get charged with trespassing.By the way :thanks: for the warning dude.

hey guys - yea what meat said is true .. we had a run-in with a state trooper last season..5 of us were out behind the flats riding, at least 2-3 miles off the road, came around the corner and there was an ambulance and PA state trooper in his crown vic parked tending to someone who crashed, we hooked a U-turn real quick and went the other way, none of us had passes, rode for another half hour or so.. headed back to the "flats" parking lot to eat lunch..hungout for 10 mins and then here comes the state trooper, all the way down the way fdar back corner of the flats (we were the only ppeople currently there at our trucks), he gets out and asks for passes, we didnt even know about them at that pooint, said we just drove 120 miles to get there, we were sorry we didnt know, he said that he has better things to do then come out in the woods and fuck with us, BUT since he was there, and since so many people keep getting hurt and doind dumb shit that we had to get the fuck out..no fines..no impounds.. just pack your shit and go. he hung around and waited to make sure we packed up and left and then also flagged down some other people too and asked for passes and made them leave..considering how far off the beatin path that place is.. like he said they have much better things to do, but if they are there, they WILL enforce the rules especially with people dying and getting air lifted every other wekeend. he was cool like i said, but i wouldnt count on all of them to be as cool as he was. it would sure be a bitch to come back from a ride only to find your truck and everything in it has been towed and you are in the middle of the woods with a half gallon of gas in ur quad and your thumb in your ass. meat is a good guy and is just trying to give everyone a heads up. apparently some tough guys on this site took it the wrong was as usual.

p.s - America is no longer a christian nation. and Americans are arrogant.

Thank you Nomad, madjimmax & MJ.

And I think the statie that talked to MJ is right-on about only coming out there when there is an accident or when people are doing stupid shit. Like I said before... the twisty paved road that takes you from RT225 in Trevorton to "the flats" is RT2044. There's guys on quads and bike riding up and down RT2044 while there is a nice big trail right along side the road. I'll come around one of those S-turns in my Jeep and here come 10 quads haulin ass wide open in the other lane. Image how that can piss off anyone who's not an offroader. Iv seen guys riding right along side of RT225 with their quads. Thats the "stupid shit" that attracts the staties and pisses off locals, not the new big crowds of offroaders to the area.

I don't have any problem sharing my riding area with the out-of-towners. I think the old school BHQ guys like BenBB, Loco, Banchetta, NYUK, JKJK, BigWill... would agree that I have been heavily promoting this area as a great place for many YEARS before the big crowds even started showing up. There has never been a time where I have turned down guys who wanted to come here and ride with me. I personally held the first CoalFest in 2004 where we brought in about 100 people. Hell I had the bansheezone website where I'v posted literally 100's of pictures of all my favorite spots... and that was about eight years ago. So its absurd that I would lie about a notice in the newspaper to scare people away. I didn't want to scare anyone away and I don't lie. Iv prolly done more to promote this area than anyone in the whole online atv community and I'm serious about that claim. Its just that Reading has rules and regulations now and some guys like to follow those rules and other don't. I never bitch at anyone who doesn't want to buy a permit.

cop drove right by 10 of our trucks with zero permits today real slow and waved. nice fella

Thats cool. Where were yas parked at when he drove by and was it a statie ?

Did any of you guys hear about a brush fire near the Mile on Saturday ??

I'm going to RAC tomorrow riding. With all this rain, there should be some good mudding around. Nothing like having wet coal dust stick all over the atv and your clothes and skin. LOL..

I take it the "flats" is on the west side of 61? I never been to that side yet, been on the burma side only. Got my permot a few months ago and only been there twice so far. So tomorrow I am heading up there to take advantage of the wet conditions, i like hitting the mud holes!

Well Kodiak450, we gots plenty O' mud. Its has rained here everyday for the past 3 weeks. Thunderstorms and steady rains, its a soupy mess everywhere. Right now there's flash flood warnings issued for the area. The areas that I ride are terrible because of the mud and water. Every trail is dotted with big deep mud puddles. Coal-Hill has big drainage ditches carved arll ove the hills. The last two times I was riding, I got completely soaked. You can't open up the throttle because your slamming on the brakes to avoid the all the water. Its a big mess. Great for the 4x4's, terrible for the sport quads who wanna zip around the trails. I haven't' been out riding since May 28th, it was a big muddy mess then. My buddy has been out twice in June and both times he told me I didn't miss any fun. I'm waiting till the sun comes out and things start to dry up. I'm going out in my Jeep instead, I'll get some pictures of the muddy trails. Make sure ya bring an extra set of dry clothes, socks, gloves. Make sure you have your roll-off cans filled or a fresh pack of tear-offs on your goggles. Im so pissed at all this rain, it gets depressing.