Wont Start

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot on here trying to deteremine what is wrong with my shee. I don't even know for sure what year it is, I bought if off someone who I think was a bit shady, it's got parts from every year on it. For discussions sake, I believe its about a 91. Either way just about everything is aftermarket. Here is a list:

Keihin carbs PWK

K&N filter

FMF pipes

New stator/flywheel (as of last summer)

New ignition coil (as of two days ago)

I rebuilt the motor again, after a screw on the clutch side popped out and found its way between the main drive gear and driven gear. Broke a whole tooth off my main drive gear. Due to that it bent the crank. I've gone through and replaced the crank, new drive gear, and primary clutch gear. Got everything back together and it just will not start. Went through the carbs 3 times, being absolutely sure everything is good. This thing ran like a raped ape before all this happened, everything is dialed in.

Plugs fire a blue spark outside the case, but I always wonder what's happening under pressure, and in the presence of fuel and the like.

The plugs are wet, so I know it's getting fuel. The only thing on the whole bike that isn't new, as of last summer, is the CDI.

I've read those things almost never go bad, I've also read that some have gotten an out of box failure CDI. Again, it sparks so I don't know if it's possible that the CDI is bad. Is that possible?

Also, when I try to start it, it seems like it wants to but only when I pin the throttle open about 3/4. It's popping like it wants to but just won't.

Sorry for the long winded responce, just a little frustrated. If anyone lives near brighton, MI and has a cdi they'd be willing to let me try before I buy one, I could swing over with a case of beer. I have the older style. Style A from this gentlemans posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-YAMAHA-...sQ5fAccessories

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot on here trying to deteremine what is wrong with my shee. I don't even know for sure what year it is, I bought if off someone who I think was a bit shady, it's got parts from every year on it. For discussions sake, I believe its about a 91. Either way just about everything is aftermarket. Here is a list:

Keihin carbs PWK

K&N filter

FMF pipes

New stator/flywheel (as of last summer)

New ignition coil (as of two days ago)

I rebuilt the motor again, after a screw on the clutch side popped out and found its way between the main drive gear and driven gear. Broke a whole tooth off my main drive gear. Due to that it bent the crank. I've gone through and replaced the crank, new drive gear, and primary clutch gear. Got everything back together and it just will not start. Went through the carbs 3 times, being absolutely sure everything is good. This thing ran like a raped ape before all this happened, everything is dialed in.

Plugs fire a blue spark outside the case, but I always wonder what's happening under pressure, and in the presence of fuel and the like.

The plugs are wet, so I know it's getting fuel. The only thing on the whole bike that isn't new, as of last summer, is the CDI.

I've read those things almost never go bad, I've also read that some have gotten an out of box failure CDI. Again, it sparks so I don't know if it's possible that the CDI is bad. Is that possible?

Also, when I try to start it, it seems like it wants to but only when I pin the throttle open about 3/4. It's popping like it wants to but just won't.

Sorry for the long winded responce, just a little frustrated. If anyone lives near brighton, MI and has a cdi they'd be willing to let me try before I buy one, I could swing over with a case of beer. I have the older style. Style A from this gentlemans posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-YAMAHA-...sQ5fAccessories

Have you tried to pull start it?

I'm having a hard time determining if it's electrically, fuel/air, or timing related. The crank I bought is an "OEM" crank, not yamaha, and after giving it some thought, I want to make sure the timing isn't off. I don't know if the crank I bought is different as far as the woodruff key placement goes. That would throw off the timing. I checked that yesterday and it appeared that the flywheel was passing by the pickup when the piston was on it's downstroke. It wasn't TDC. I'm not sure if that is correct. Maybe someone can verify?

I'm having a hard time determining if it's electrically, fuel/air, or timing related. The crank I bought is an "OEM" crank, not yamaha, and after giving it some thought, I want to make sure the timing isn't off. I don't know if the crank I bought is different as far as the woodruff key placement goes. That would throw off the timing. I checked that yesterday and it appeared that the flywheel was passing by the pickup when the piston was on it's downstroke. It wasn't TDC. I'm not sure if that is correct. Maybe someone can verify?

Wouldn't a OEM clutch be from Yamaha lol? OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture. I would first try pull. If that doesn't start your bike then we can go from there. Could be you flooded it and just needs to be pulled to start up. That's what happened to me.

Wouldn't a OEM clutch be from Yamaha lol? OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture. I would first try pull. If that doesn't start your bike then we can go from there. Could be you flooded it and just needs to be pulled to start up. That's what happened to me.

Haha, Yeah you're right as far as OEM goes. Although sometimes I think of OEM parts as orginal equipment specifications, not necessarily manufacturer. Yeah I'm gonna try pull starting it.

could asl try your pickup coil gapping. should be enough for a business card to fit. if its off a lil bit it wont want to run

hahahahahahah, just when you think you have it all figured out, you end up leaving the woodruff key out.

I'm a bonehead. Thanks everyone for your help. Timing is critical.