Plug Chops? What Do You Think

TRO73

I just changed my main to a 162....pilot is 58...cel needle 4th clip...I did 2 plug chops.....I wasn't sure if it was too lean so I went back up a size on the main. Ran great on the top end with the 162 but I got my slight bog back on the top end when I put the 165 back in. I still have a bog on my low end also. Also before I did the plug chops my original plugs were dark brown and slightly wet.

1st

DSC_0883.jpg

2nd

DSC_0884.jpg

Edited by TRO73

I would say your low end bog is from to big of a pilot jet. Most guys run in the neighborhood of a 45-48 pilot.

The plug chop looks lean. It has a bog on the top end with the richer 165's in? How long of a WOT run did you do for this plug chop?

I ran through all 6 gears and stayed in sixth for maybe 3 to 5 seconds, maybe I did not run long enough?.....As for the pilot I had it on a dyno and according to the machine my low end was too lean "52 pilot at the time" so I bumped it up to a 58 and still low end bog. It showed my top end was way rich "had a 175 in a the time" I would drop a size and try it and when I got to a 162 the top end ran great, so did the plug chop and it looked lean to me, so went back up and when you get to the top it feels like it wants to fall on its face sometimes. Before I had my case ported I ran a 155 main...45 pilot...cel on 4th clip...Would just porting the cases changed your jetting that much? Also at the time of the dyno I had DGH needles "Or DGK whatwhatever they are" in and clip was in bottom position so I changed them back to my cel in 4th position

Edited by TRO73

My plug chops were not reliable.I was running jets about that size, but they always showed lean. (even though it was too rich)

I was running my bowls dry on the long high power runs, so the plugs always looked lean.

(I was even as high as 172 showing lean)

Now I am at 160 and still a bit rich (based on long term plug color and fouling)

My plug chops were not reliable.I was running jets about that size, but they always showed lean. (even though it was too rich)

I was running my bowls dry on the long high power runs, so the plugs always looked lean.

(I was even as high as 172 showing lean)

Now I am at 160 and still a bit rich (based on long term plug color and fouling)

Thank man..... Maybe that's what's happening to me? It runs good with the 162's and worse with the 165's

Was also wondering could the type of oil you run affect the color of your ring? I run Bel Ray H1R and it is

Light orange in color.

Edited by TRO73

This sounds really bush league, hokey, but, when you are running it pull your choke out to the first click. If it runs better you are prob a touch lean; you could be right on that ragged edge where it will run forever and be making peak power and never burn up. This is just to get you in the ball park. Those plugs look pretty light to me, but I'm not a Keihin guy so I don't have a lot of good recommendations as far as sizes. I'm more of a fan of long term color than plug chops and then just a good riding feel. If everything is jetted/tuned right, you should have good pull from all throttle positions, you should never foul plugs and the color should be right.

Despite all the negative things I hear from my 4 stroke buddies, I've never fouled a plug or burned mine up once, and I'm making more power than any of the crowd I run with thinks about making... :biggrin:

How many turns out is your air screw?

I would try doing a plug chop with your 162's and do a long wot run. I run mine down a back road for about a mile or so at wot. It gives the plugs a little more time to color. I am also running a klotz supertechiniplate and get nice brown rings.

josh

How many turns out is your air screw?

I would try doing a plug chop with your 162's and do a long wot run. I run mine down a back road for about a mile or so at wot. It gives the plugs a little more time to color. I am also running a klotz supertechiniplate and get nice brown rings.

josh

Air screws 1 1/2 turns out. I will try a longer wot.

Thanks Josh

between the 110, and synthetic oil, you're not really gonna get a good color on the base. that 110 is leaded, right? if not, the left plug in the bottom pic is a little concerning. go by what the dyno said, then play with the needle, and adjust your airscrews to tune the pilot. when you have the right pilot, it should reach peak rpm between 1/2-2.5 turns out. then adjust 1/4 at a time untill it runs good at, and coming off idle. remember to make the adjustments @ operating temp.

between the 110, and synthetic oil, you're not really gonna get a good color on the base. that 110 is leaded, right? if not, the left plug in the bottom pic is a little concerning. go by what the dyno said, then play with the needle, and adjust your airscrews to tune the pilot. when you have the right pilot, it should reach peak rpm between 1/2-2.5 turns out. then adjust 1/4 at a time untill it runs good at, and coming off idle. remember to make the adjustments @ operating temp.

Hey thanks

The left plug in the bottom pic I did not cut down far enough with my

dremel and I hit it with the blade and tried to wipe it off, that is why

the entire white part looks colored.