Cant find neutral while running! how to fix?

I had the same problem with my88 Lt250r, 01rm125, and my banshee. I have found the best way to get it to shift smoothly in and out of gear is to use automatic trans fluid, you can use what ever flavor you like, but the type "f" for the older fords is the best for that. I couldn't find neutral, the banshee wouldn't start in gear and forget about trying to push it in gear with the lever pulled in. I have changed the oil in it 3 times now in the week I have had it, gets better with each oil change, plus the oil is only 3 bucks or so a qt.

But i dont have a 100hp dune machine either, all my riding is xc/gp and the oil gets changed after every ride. not sure I would want to use such a thin oil at higher temps and speeds you dune guys are dishing out

just my .02

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean about the touch.... seems like sometimes I can tap the shifter and it finds nutral...Its a pain not finding nutral at stop lights.... or when fiddling with shit.... Im gonna take a real goos look at this at some point and maybe make a new star with a better detent for the nutral postion....I bet a weaker spring would help as well...Ill try the shift kit spring ;)

I know what you mean about the touch.... seems like sometimes I can tap the shifter and it finds nutral...Its a pain not finding nutral at stop lights.... or when fiddling with shit.... Im gonna take a real goos look at this at some point and maybe make a new star with a better detent for the nutral postion....I bet a weaker spring would help as well...Ill try the shift kit spring ;)

stop lights? i live in a small town and all the local cops are cool and all but even i dont pull up at stoplights on my banshee :biggrin:

Edited by volfan537240

it fits real well....just lots of fabrication all the way down to the pipes.....motor mounts.... full new wire harness, etc....lots of work but lots of fun ;) 535 with 236 primary gears..... the silencers are cascase innovations....very awsome silencers! Very quite... even on the big engine....

they look small as alot of the pipe is under the bike. they are big bore oof pipes from the power pro's... modifyed to fit my frame... so far so good...ive only been doing 1/2 throttle as my throttle was made for a streetbike....the rotation is way to much to get to wot...the new throttle will be in next week... seems plenty fast at 1/2 throttle......still tuning....

ive only been doing 1/2 throttle as my throttle was made for a streetbike....the rotation is way to much to get to wot...the new throttle will be in next week... seems plenty fast at 1/2 throttle......still tuning....

Did you go with a 1/4 twist? That would be ideal for that bike. :thumbsup:

New pics and some vids are a must. :beer:

Grab your self the shift pro kit with the roller bearing arm and lighter spring. Makes finding neutral 100X easier.

Some people bitch about doing the shift pro kit and star but trust me it works when done right.. When your in there do the shift shaft mod also.

Doing all that works great for me. :thumbsup:

Never use a star that have rounded points. This will cause over shifting. Go to far.

Also using the lighter spring from Shift Pro will cause problems too.

You have it in neutral, then your rev up the motor. It will jump into a gear. Plus doing wheelies. If you come down too hard. It will pop into a different gear and maybe destroy the tranny.. It will also do the same from a jump too.

Use the stock spring with Shift Pro bearing arm.

The shift shaft does go bad. Yamaha has updated the shift shafts..

I use the Shift Pro bearing arm in my 10 second 1/4 mile drag Banshee.

If you want to win races. Be careful want you use..

I have been working,riding and racing Banshee since 1986. So I have seen it all..

I do have a new arm....stock spring.... you think I should put a stock star back on and it would be safer? It has not miss shifted once so far.....tranny shift perfect other than finding nutral... It was in nutral once...and seemed to start to pop into gear....I am very cautious about that...On a quad not as dig of a deal but on the bike it can fall over......Do the rz350 guys have the same issue????? They use the same shift star correct??? Im working on the video, fin tuning it as its getting better...Need to cut down on the wind noise some how....

Like i said before, i have the RZ forks and drum in my bike along with the modded star and shift pro arm. I did use the stock spring though because i was worried about it being to easy to shift. I have never had it go into gear on its own or shift itself when jumping or doing a wheelie. Not saying it cant happen, but it hasnt happened to me. Like you said, on a bike it is a bit of a bigger deal.