wireless router signal repeater?

blowit

Here is maybe an odd question. A friend of mine's place does not have I net, however, there are several unsecured routers in the area but signal is weak. He does not want to pay for net because he does not use it but I friggin need it when I show up. Is there something cheap I can throw on a tall pole to pull these signals better and use one of these unsecured routers in the area? Not sure what is out there.

Here is maybe an odd question. A friend of mine's place does not have I net, however, there are several unsecured routers in the area but signal is weak. He does not want to pay for net because he does not use it but I friggin need it when I show up. Is there something cheap I can throw on a tall pole to pull these signals better and use one of these unsecured routers in the area? Not sure what is out there.

naw bro the the only way to get a better signal is by parking in front of the house that is giving out the signal, other than that you can buy the neighbors a better router and give them a note saying " this is so i can steal ur internet better" lol

Go to the flea market, buy a old direct tv or dish network dish. Remove the lnb. But a USB cable externer. Put a wireless usb device where the lnb went. Or is your looking to go a little cheaper

There is less singal loss for the USB extender when compared to the extended antenna cable. Best ive done was about 4.5 miles. With using the same concept with a contructed biquad attena ive heard of 10+ miles. If you already have the dish your looking at $30 bucks.

You can buy another wireless AP, and use it as a repeater.

However, you'll have to know a few things about the original router/AP to set it up as a repeater.

Brandon, I know it's EXPENSIVE....but maybe you can cost it out/expense it, etc.

Verizon, ATT, etc., all offer wireless air cards. They are not as fast/reliable as a wired or WiFi connection, but they do work pretty well.

Downside is they're about 50 to 60 a month....so, your call.

You can set up an access point at your house using a WDS bridge, use a bridge mode instead of repeater mode. Couple things you will have to overcome

1) you will have to log into the other persons router and set it up for bridge mode, and then likewise for the access point at your house so they will communicate with each other. If the wireless network is named something like linksys or dlink there is a chance the username and password are defaults. You can find the default IP address and default user/pass on the net once you've obtained information about what model/version router they have.

2)you will need the wireless mac address, some routers have 2 mac address's. One is a mac address for the wireless lan and one for wired lan, you want the wireless mac add.

3)you will need a wireless access point with detachable antenna's. You will need cable, a antenna, and pigtails to match the connectors on both the antenna and wireless access point.

Thats if you plan to setup a wireless access point.

A possibly cheaper alternative would be to get a linksys PCI card w/detachable antenna and run an inline amp w/ external antenna. I cannot tell you whether or not that would work for sure though.