opinyins

k, Im a cheap ass, diy`r. I was thinkin to myself,,..."self why cant I make my own fat ass reed spacers?" So I thought of a few materials to use. I decided to go with bondo. I made a form out of 3/4 wood, the thickness I wanted my spacers,. traced the reed cage on it and cut it out. I cut out a center section to put in the middle to so I didnt have to remove so much material from the center. Slapped some mud in the hole and let it set for like 1/2 hour. Hammered it out, belt saned it perfect flat to .002" tollerance all the way around. Whatever its bondo it will form to square. dremeled out the center rough, then sanded it square. marked my holes out. 4th hole fucking cracked it!!!!!!!!! was perfect. spent like 1 1/2 on this pos. so I dont know weither I should try again maybe with more hardner or try something else. I was expecting to have a pair for under $10 3/4" thick, if I use somethig else, Im wasting more time and money. I had thought about using wood too, then coating it with a fiberglass resin or something. Any ideas? A suggestion of why dont you just buy some will earn you a kick in the gnads, as well as telling me I didnt spell opinions correctly. STD reed spacers are not as thick as I want.

I don't think I would take a chance with bondo, if a piece of that shit were to break off and go into your cylinder you will be having a bad day.

Thinkin samething. if you were to use wood, I think oak would be your best bet for stability without shrinking and expanding. :shrug:

A. Get some fiberglass resin and some extra glass sheets abnd build it up.

B. Instead of bondo use kitty hair, its bondo with fiber glass strands in it.

C. Don't be so cheap and buy a damn piece of 3/4" aluminum, hell i know the metal place here would probably have a piece of scrap big enough to make it out of.

A. Get some fiberglass resin and some extra glass sheets abnd build it up.

B. Instead of bondo use kitty hair, its bondo with fiber glass strands in it.

C. Don't be so cheap and buy a damn piece of 3/4" aluminum, hell i know the metal place here would probably have a piece of scrap big enough to make it out of.

i wa thinking the same thing. what you should do is pat your self on the back for the effort, and look for something else, like mylar. baybey tou can find a cutting board made of mylar for cheap, or go to a local plastics shop for some scrap. i picked up some 1" for plow wings, and ripped it through some stumps and posts and shit. in the end, it worked out much betterer than the steel wings, which were a pita, when they bent. but anyways, it's some pretty good shit

edit=> i ment to say gooderer

Edited by AKheathen

yea i read the whole "kick in the nads" thing but hey, if your a tough guy and feel like flying to oregon then be my guest...

you said you want 3/4" spacers correct? well if thats the case then look no further...

Yamaha Banshee Reed Spacers

Part: n/a

Trinity's 1/2" or 3/4" reed spacers manipulate intake air so you can adjust how hard the engine kicks when you open the throttle. Different sizes of reed spacers give you the ability to fine tune your quad's powerband to your personal preference. Moving the reed cage further back slightly shifts power toward the bottom end, while leaving it forward and shifting the manifold back will tend to lean towards high RPM.

AS LOW AS $42.99

Yamaha Banshee Stage IV Reed Spacers - 3/4" $49.99

http://www.trinityracing.com/

under banshee preformance parts...

you've probably already spent $50 worth of time trying to fab them and as much as my hats off to you for trying but if you want 3/4" spacers your better off just buying them.

if you insist on building your own i agree that you should be focusing on plastic like material, i'd suggest polyurethane myself....

1st off why ? why do you need spacers? If I wanted a set I'd hit up ebay I just soid a set for $13. A hour and a half of my time is worth more then $13

because my carbs are big, and set as is the, bowl sits in the way of my clutch lever. Second I wanted an offest in them the keep the carbs level. Air at high speed doesnt like to turn, the carb sits almost level and as soon as air comes in hits a reed cage and turns downward. A more gradual radius would look neat and maybe help.

Im doing some expereimenting. I just typed the whole thing out, but deleted it, because fuck it. I dont want people taking my ideas. There is a reason I dont want a hard block of shit, I want to add shit in, form it, whatever Im doing, the billet spacers ARE NOT WHAT I WANT!!!!!!!! they are to much money, and if I mess it up, then I have to buy another pair and wait for them, pay shipping ect. I can cast 10 pairs at once for $15 worth of resin. Plus Ill be making them even wider 1"+ as long as my cables allow for it.

For the guy in Oregon, im not really a tough guy, only on the internet, Im really a little vagina, ask anyone who knows me. Thank you for replying that like Im really going to go kick anyone retard.

I think Im going to make a cast out of wax that I can reuse and try straight fiberglass resin, or 2 part somewhat rubbery epoxy,. or both and see which one works.

Now anyone have tips on how to make a near perfect casting with wax. wax cos its easy to mold and nothing will stick to it.