powder coater

skinindustries

• 2 weeks later...
found this guy in ohio that does powder coating for retty cheap check it out. He is in Seville, Ohio

http://www.moto-x-coatings.com/

Im willing to bet this guy will beat his prices. He does whole atv frames for 275.00

http://www.poorboyperformance.com/

Im willing to bet this guy will beat his prices. He does whole atv frames for 275.00

http://www.poorboyperformance.com/

I had my frame done locally, for $100. That was for a translucent color, too. And, it's 6mil thick. You might check into the small, local places. They seem to care about customer service and quality of their products, alot more than the big companies.

I had my frame done locally, for $100. That was for a translucent color, too. And, it's 6mil thick. You might check into the small, local places. They seem to care about customer service and quality of their products, alot more than the big companies.

X2

Typically the deal is, if you want to get a generic and sometimes slow PC job for cheap then look for an industrial place that runs large numbers of items through all the time.

What you will get: sometimes lower quality, not so great customer service, (sometimes quick) but usually LONG turnaround, not very wide variety of colors or textures to choose from usually, cheap prices, and they don't always take the time to ensure they cap or plug every threaded hole and bolt so you could end up with gummed up threads or something coated that shouldn't be.

If you want a custom high quality job, go with a smaller outfit or a hobbyist.

What you will get: These guys (like myself) typically charge about the same and often more but we try to be exceptional at customer service, quality, and attention to detail. We plug every hole and cover every bolt and generally enjoy doing custom out of the ordinary colors and designs etc.

Don't get me wrong there are still a lot of coaters out there that will do a good job for really cheap. Most of the time I'll charge between $180-250 for a frame just to give you an idea but it really depends on the particular job and number of coats and other factors.

I got a small company to do mine. He paid very close attention to detail, protecting every bolt hole, and every place that had something going through it. He sprayed it hot, and made it 6mil thick. Very good protection for hard terrain. Turn-around time for the frame was the same day, and the other parts were 2 days. I got $270 total invested in every single steel part on the bike. The large companies around here wanted $350, for the frame only, and they sprayed it cold, and was only 2mil thick. Their turn-around time was a minimum of 2 weeks.

What I got done:

Frame, A-arms, swingarm, steering stem, tie rods, steering knuckles, wheel hubs, sprocket hub, brake hub, bearing carrier, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, bottom radiator mounts, top radiator mount, kicker, footpegs, chain tensioners, shock link.

Colors are chrome base with translucent blue, and Bengal Silver with clear coat. The large companies wouldn't even do the translucent colors.

Sandblasting Experts/Fusion Powdercoating

Both are in the same building.

Chesapeake, Va.

017.jpg

I got a small company to do mine. He paid very close attention to detail, protecting every bolt hole, and every place that had something going through it. He sprayed it hot, and made it 6mil thick. Very good protection for hard terrain. Turn-around time for the frame was the same day, and the other parts were 2 days. I got $270 total invested in every single steel part on the bike. The large companies around here wanted $350, for the frame only, and they sprayed it cold, and was only 2mil thick. Their turn-around time was a minimum of 2 weeks.

What I got done:

Frame, A-arms, swingarm, steering stem, tie rods, steering knuckles, wheel hubs, sprocket hub, brake hub, bearing carrier, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, bottom radiator mounts, top radiator mount, kicker, footpegs, chain tensioners, shock link.

Colors are chrome base with translucent blue, and Bengal Silver with clear coat. The large companies wouldn't even do the translucent colors.

Sandblasting Experts/Fusion Powdercoating

Both are in the same building.

Chesapeake, Va.

017.jpg

That's a good deal. But spraying cold is a smarter way to coat, not hot (just so you know). Spraying hot (hotflocking) is risky because you can accidentally end up with sagging (drips) and other issues and then you're screwed and have to strip the whole damn thing down and start over. Spraying cold is actually one of the biggest benefits of powder coating over painting because if you screw up you just blow the powder off and shoot it again. :biggrin:

That's not to say I don't hotflock because I do when I'm doing second coats because I don't have an adjustable gun.

The structural integrity of the finish is not affected either way however. It's just proper technique to spray cold.

But spraying cold is a smarter way to coat, not hot (just so you know).

He said that spraying it hot, he could get it alot thicker, than spraying it cold. He did it like that, since my bike sees nothing but rough terrain. Like I said, he made it 6mil thick. And you can really tell it. The last place that did it, was one of the "Big companies". They did it cold, and only got it to 2mil thick. It was paper thin. It was scratched off in 3 months time. The bottom of the frame and where the plastics ride were rusting. There isn't any drips on any of my parts. I know that you know your shit about PC'ing. I'm just telling you what my experience has been like here recently.

He said that spraying it hot, he could get it alot thicker, than spraying it cold. He did it like that, since my bike sees nothing but rough terrain. Like I said, he made it 6mil thick. And you can really tell it. The last place that did it, was one of the "Big companies". They did it cold, and only got it to 2mil thick. It was paper thin. It was scratched off in 3 months time. The bottom of the frame and where the plastics ride were rusting. There isn't any drips on any of my parts. I know that you know your shit about PC'ing. I'm just telling you what my experience has been like here recently.

Oh yeah I'm not callin' you out on it by any means! :biggrin: He probably was VERY careful while doing it and seems as though he did a great job from what you say.