drag bike advise

4strokekilla1987

Guys i need your advice i plan on building a strickly drag bike for asphalt from the ground up i want it to be fast like really fast

please understand that i am completly new to this. meaing i always had my mechanic do everything for me but seeing as i want to learn and build one my self i am turning to u guys for help so here is what i would like to know what frame to use where do i start with the motor i know ima buy a cheetah cylndar. what do i need to build a motor from the ground up please help thanks

i think its ALOT personal preference. there is so many different ways you can set these bikes up. i mean you can do it and spend as much money as you want or you can do as lil as possible and save as much as you can and still get some power. alot of it depends on your wallet.

i think its ALOT personal preference. there is so many different ways you can set these bikes up. i mean you can do it and spend as much money as you want or you can do as lil as possible and save as much as you can and still get some power. alot of it depends on your wallet.

well im looking to spend no more than $12000.00

12,000 on a cub? Ha, for that much money you can go much faster than a cub :biggrin:

I think hes talking 12k for the total bike, frame swing arm, etc. not just the motor.

Guys i need your advice i plan on building a strickly drag bike for asphalt from the ground up i want it to be fast like really fast

please understand that i am completly new to this. meaing i always had my mechanic do everything for me but seeing as i want to learn and build one my self i am turning to u guys for help so here is what i would like to know what frame to use where do i start with the motor i know ima buy a cheetah cylndar. what do i need to build a motor from the ground up please help thanks

You have a long road to travel and it may take you several tries to get it right. You may go a direction and it may not be what you want, so you start over buying new pipes, carbs, cylinders, crank, etc , basically starting over. your best bet would be to setup a nice chassis that is going to handle whatever you would want to throw at it in the end. This way you have a good starting point. There is nothing scarier that a fast motor in a POS chassis. There are certian motor upgrades like the override and lockup that will work with almost any engine combo, but then you have to chose do you want a 1-5 or a 1-4 manual 5-6 or whatever. hope that helps and good luck

if i had that kinda money to put in a bike id call nate mccoy :thumbsup: not kuz hes expensive but ive herd some great stuff about him and his product he will steer you in the right direction

if your budget is 12k then you can put together a decent sized bike, or purchase one that is already built from someone.

i would start with an idea of what size motor you want to build because that will determine what size chassis your ganna need, i would personally go bigger than a 4mm cub for an all out drag bike just cause the parts you will be buying will be able to be used for different motors, i.e. clutch basket with straight cut gears.. ect..

i personally like the twister cylinders cause the sleeves in them for rebuild time.. the cheetah's are another very good choice as well. the la sleeve and t-rex cylinders are still available but will take more work to make run like the others. (that is all my opinion)

choose what size motor your wanting to run first, for reliablilty of them in the stock cases i went with a 10mm, 18mm cranks have been squeezed into stock cases but its not as reliable as having billet cases..

so lets look at the parts you can shop for now and when you decide what size motor you can decide what direction you want to with..as well as the override you want it cut to..

you can look for these parts now if your ready..

clutch basket with straight cuts. 700

lockup with cover, 400

axle i would recommend a jj and a 750

radiator (if not running stock like a torchworks rad or something) 500

spindle mount front wheels (most chassis with have a 5/8ths spindle) 500

ignition (pvl or stock/modified) 400

once you decide what size motor you want to go with you will need to get

crank 500-1600

top end 1400-2500

pipes 600

carbs filters 600

trans cut (i would suggest getting a billet 2nd just to keep it reliable with bigger motors) 375/600

chassis (for a drag only track/smooth surface bike get a rigid) which will be made for the size motor and rider 3500

rear tires 600

sprockets 100

depending on how you shop around you can get deals on stuff, it can save you plenty on parts so you can spend it elsewhere.. these are round about prices that some may have changed and some may have not..

-

if your budget is 12k then you can put together a decent sized bike, or purchase one that is already built from someone.

i would start with an idea of what size motor you want to build because that will determine what size chassis your ganna need, i would personally go bigger than a 4mm cub for an all out drag bike just cause the parts you will be buying will be able to be used for different motors, i.e. clutch basket with straight cut gears.. ect..

i personally like the twister cylinders cause the sleeves in them for rebuild time.. the cheetah's are another very good choice as well. the la sleeve and t-rex cylinders are still available but will take more work to make run like the others. (that is all my opinion)

choose what size motor your wanting to run first, for reliablilty of them in the stock cases i went with a 10mm, 18mm cranks have been squeezed into stock cases but its not as reliable as having billet cases..

so lets look at the parts you can shop for now and when you decide what size motor you can decide what direction you want to with..as well as the override you want it cut to..

you can look for these parts now if your ready..

clutch basket with straight cuts. 700

lockup with cover, 400

axle i would recommend a jj and a 750

radiator (if not running stock like a torchworks rad or something) 500

spindle mount front wheels (most chassis with have a 5/8ths spindle) 500

ignition (pvl or stock/modified) 400

once you decide what size motor you want to go with you will need to get

crank 500-1600

top end 1400-2500

pipes 600

carbs filters 600

trans cut (i would suggest getting a billet 2nd just to keep it reliable with bigger motors) 375/600

chassis (for a drag only track/smooth surface bike get a rigid) which will be made for the size motor and rider 3500

rear tires 600

sprockets 100

depending on how you shop around you can get deals on stuff, it can save you plenty on parts so you can spend it elsewhere.. these are round about prices that some may have changed and some may have not..

-

thanks