new pilot jets?

banman350

runs good mid and top, but wants to spudder and somtimes backfires at low rpm, it will not idle at all. it doesnt run with the airbox lid off either

its completely stock besides, boysen carbon reeds, boost bottle, 3/8" reed spacers, and TORS removal kit, elevation 30ft in S. Florida

i adjusted the air screws and it ran a little better... im thinkin i need new pilot jets....help me out

runs good mid and top, but wants to spudder and somtimes backfires at low rpm, it will not idle at all. it doesnt run with the airbox lid off either

its completely stock besides, boysen carbon reeds, boost bottle, 3/8" reed spacers, and TORS removal kit, elevation 30ft in S. Florida

i adjusted the air screws and it ran a little better... im thinkin i need new pilot jets....help me out

If your air screw is more than 2.5 tuns out I think it time for a larger pilot jet.

That's backwards.

If the air screw is 3 turns out...you need smaller pilot jets.

Think of it this way.

If the bike truly is to rich, you are trying to lean it out by allowing more air to mix with the fuel.

on stock banshee carbs, the mixture screw is behind Venturi...it is called an air screw.

By putting a larger pilot jet in, you'd have to mix that much more air by turning the air screw out.

Once you get past 2.5 turns out from lightly seated, you're past the "usable range" on the air screw.

I'd make sure you're not running too much oil, your compression is up to snuff, fresh plugs, fresh gas/oil, cleaned carbs, good fuel supply (no dirt/gunk in the carbs) and no dirt plugging the fuel valve screens in the gas tank.

I've never had to go leaner than a stock 25 pilot....

Now, if your air screws were less than .5 turns out from the lightly seated position, you'd need a larger pilot.

try mooving your needle 1 clip tward the blunt end too. what jetts are in there?

alright im retarded. my pilots were both clogged, i cleaned them and it runs and idles like its brand new. thanks for all the help guys

..BUT.. i have 200 mains and 25 pilots and when i take the airbox lid off it bogs when i dump on it, any suggestions to getting more power,, maybe a 240 main and 27.5 pilot ???????

That's backwards.

If the air screw is 3 turns out...you need smaller pilot jets.

Think of it this way.

If the bike truly is to rich, you are trying to lean it out by allowing more air to mix with the fuel.

on stock banshee carbs, the mixture screw is behind Venturi...it is called an air screw.

By putting a larger pilot jet in, you'd have to mix that much more air by turning the air screw out.

Once you get past 2.5 turns out from lightly seated, you're past the "usable range" on the air screw.

I'd make sure you're not running too much oil, your compression is up to snuff, fresh plugs, fresh gas/oil, cleaned carbs, good fuel supply (no dirt/gunk in the carbs) and no dirt plugging the fuel valve screens in the gas tank.

I've never had to go leaner than a stock 25 pilot....

Now, if your air screws were less than .5 turns out from the lightly seated position, you'd need a larger pilot.

so if it bogs with the airbox lid off then it needs to be more rich, correct? and i can do this by turning my air screw in, but if its turned out less than .5 i need a larger pilot?

you'll need bigger mains tp pull the lid off and something to hold the filter, or a k&n and adapter. probably start with 240's what's the temps you ride in. biggest bang for power to start with is pipes, and +4 timing, you will also have to go up a few sizes for that, too. the boost bottle isn't adding power, and the reed spacers is probably taking away a bit if they are between the reeds and juggs. all they do is help afteermarket carbs clear the clutch arm.

Normally...if it's bogging, it's rich not lean.

That's if everything else is in check. Fuel supply, clean carbs, properly set float heights, ignition and engine health all A OK.

it runs great now im gonna put in 240 mains and remove the rubber nozzle part of the airbox until i get some pipes

it runs great now im gonna put in 240 mains and remove the rubber nozzle part of the airbox until i get some pipes

like i said, it depends on the temp and elevation, but removing the lid, (while securing the back of the filter) will put you around 230, which includes 220 and 240. it's best to start with 240, but you may want to get 230's as well, if it's too rich on a plug chop, and you're ordering jets, instead of going to a shop/store. just so you don't have to wait.

like i said, it depends on the temp and elevation, but removing the lid, (while securing the back of the filter) will put you around 230, which includes 220 and 240. it's best to start with 240, but you may want to get 230's as well, if it's too rich on a plug chop, and you're ordering jets, instead of going to a shop/store. just so you don't have to wait.

temp is 85 to 95 degrees at sea level