Guidance please guys

fitz18

Guys,

Just done a rebuild. New pro x pistons, stock jugs with mild porting, k&N wilth snorkle removed from lid, stock carbs, DMC alien pipes and I have just installed a timing plate at +4. Where should I be with my jetting guys? I was running 240 mains and stock pilot before the rebuild but I didnt have the timing plate installed. I need help!!!

Thanks

Go up on your mains by about 2 or 3 sizes and do a plug check then work your way back down or up if necessary. Before you do a plug check carefully run it around a little and if it's running like crap, pull the choke and if it runs better you are lean so you'll need to go up on your mains and then do the plug check. That should get you a starting point at least.

dude, 240 main , i think id be at like 320 as a minimum for that cold of temprature with mild port and K&N

I asked two builders and they both are saying 240 should be fine maybe 260. I dont want to blow it so am just looking help. Think il do what nitrotake says and start with 300 an work my way down. Any more info would be great.

Thanks

with the lid still installed, o highly doubt you'll be any higher than 280 below freezing. i'd start there and work down, and the +4 doesn't need more fuel :thumbsup:

for me, 310 was spot-on @ -11f, no lid, but too rich @ 34.

too rich isn't gonna blow your motor, but too lean can

Yeah like I and others have said, throw some 300's or 310's in there and do a plug check, you won't have to worry about blowing it with those in there.

ok so update...I put 280's in and was way rich. Bike was bogging and plugs were soaking. Then moved to 260's and still feels like she is bogging. Plugs are dark black. I think il try the 240's in and see where we go. Pity there is noone on here from ireland!! Ill keep you's posted! Thanks again guys

ok so update...I put 280's in and was way rich. Bike was bogging and plugs were soaking. Then moved to 260's and still feels like she is bogging. Plugs are dark black. I think il try the 240's in and see where we go. Pity there is noone on here from ireland!! Ill keep you's posted! Thanks again guys

Damn dude that just doesn't seem right because I run 270's in my banshee with pod filters and T5's at 7300 ft and about 60-70 degrees F.

At your sealevel elevation and at that temp you should be around 300's or so possibly bigger. Did you do a proper plug check/chop? Do you know how to do a proper check? You need a brand new plug to do it. If not let me know and I'll explain

Damn dude that just doesn't seem right because I run 270's in my banshee with pod filters and T5's at 7300 ft and about 60-70 degrees F.

At your sealevel elevation and at that temp you should be around 300's or so possibly bigger. Did you do a proper plug check/chop? Do you know how to do a proper check? You need a brand new plug to do it. If not let me know and I'll explain

I didnt do a plug chop I just took them out and looked at them. The bike was just completely bogging when I had the 280's in and didnt get much better with 260's. I know how to do the chop. I have read all the info on here already. I went for a rip at wot and then killed the engine, took out the plugs and put old ones in and went home. The plugs i used were new! I tried to take pics of the plus I took out but my camera is fucked.....and I've had a few beers and its 1.00am here so I gotta hit the hay!!! I dont know what to say tho guys cos the bike runs better with 240's. Anybody any thoughts? I'd hate her to blow!

Your letting your bike warm up properly right?

When you do a plug chop. Try to get the bike warmed up on a set of old plugs. Once warm, switch the plugs to the new ones at the starting line of your WOT check. You had it right, when you said that you hit 6th and shut her down. Next time though, stay in 6th at WOT for 10 seconds or more. Then shut her down and coast to a stop. Pull the new plugs and put the old ones back in.

Good luck!

the reason your mains are so small is because your highly restrictive lid is installed, and, i belive, the humid climate. this is why i suggested working down from 260. if you don't need a lid, i would remove it, provided you have the bolt-on airbox adapter for the k&n. if you do need a lid, maybey open up the passage a bit for better flow. the lid is one of the biggest factors in main jet size.

and nitro- no need to be a dick.

Not only is the lid restricting air flow, but have you checked your float height? Having the floats set too high, will cause it to run rich. When my bike was pretty much a stocker with bolt ons, FMFs, foam filter, and reeds, it needed 290 mains at around 1,500 ft elevation. That was with the lid on, and the snorkel removed. I find it hard to believe that 240 mains are all you need with your mods.

the reason your mains are so small is because your highly restrictive lid is installed, and, i belive, the humid climate. this is why i suggested working down from 260. if you don't need a lid, i would remove it, provided you have the bolt-on airbox adapter for the k&n. if you do need a lid, maybey open up the passage a bit for better flow. the lid is one of the biggest factors in main jet size.

and nitro- no need to be a dick.

HUH??? :blink: where was I being a dick??