About how much is the max RPM of a banshee?

about the over rev? last time i checked over-rev was just that, taking the motor out of its normal operating range. the last time i did it with a car i broke alot of shit in the top end.

a motor that is capable of making more topend power could potientially be able to over-rev easier.

Edited by Coupelx

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what he is saying but some other things must be considered.

Over rev can be designed into an engine to effectively rev past peak power without falling flat. It is very common for closed course race bikes because there are times when grabbing another gear is not advantageous. Over rev is not super important (IMO) for drag racing since one can tune and re gear to stay in the sweet spot.

MAX RPM - mechanical limit or usable???? Mechanical - somewhere around 20K RPM. The longer the stroke and less the rod length, the less the mechanical limit.

Usable - depending on setup but most bikes will not exceed 11K at peak power with decent over rev of 12K. Most dyno operators shut the dyno down after power starts falling off. An inertial dyno will show over rev but it gets hard on a brake dyno.

There are ways to design in over rev. Most of the time it is using an exhaust that is tuned for higher rpm operation than the engine. This seems to flatten the peak power band and the pipe helps the engine along once max designed engine rpm is reached.

Brandon

I am thinking that over rev is going to have to be classified as usable power range, which its still not at the rpm's he is trying to justify. I cant think of anyone thats building a twin cylinder banshee motor thats actually pulling 14k rpm in a mx race, drag race, or play bike. I ride with Patriot Racing, twister, Rooster, Trinity, ILR, Redline, and RSR bikes. I even ride with some of the owners of those companies themselves.

Not sure what happened w/the quote??? No smartass either, just calling BS!

Snop, what I meant was your numbers are accurate IMO.

I am waiting for the Koolguy details so I too can increase my usable HP in the upper rpm range with more over-rev :biggrin: I am assuming my combustion is screwed up :blink:since my current bike makes no where near 11,000 rpm in the real world and my HP an torque dop like a rock in over-rev not long after making max HP.

Short of that, I would like whatever drugs Koolguy is using :happy:

This is overrev. Tough concept I know.

I understand what he is saying but some other things must be considered.

Over rev can be designed into an engine to effectively rev past peak power without falling flat. It is very common for closed course race bikes because there are times when grabbing another gear is not advantageous. Over rev is not super important (IMO) for drag racing since one can tune and re gear to stay in the sweet spot.

Brandon

Brandon, overrev is actually very important in drag racing. The more overrev a motor has, the more forgiving it is when you mistime your shift. If your bike falls out of its effective power range, even if it is for .1 of a second, that is a .1+ lost on your ET. By widening your overrev, it not only helps insure that you will hit your shift, but also prolongs the time your motor can stay in the power.

I am on drugs? I never said anything about 14k being the norm, but you should be able to hit 11k fairly easy. Gee, maybe I will put my clapped out bike up against yours. How fast have you gone again? :confused:

I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I forgot you guys are "experts". (not directed to Brandon)

Are you sure you know what over rev is? Fall=Down. If your drag racing, mis-time a shift and the power falls out of the effective range, well thats when you need torque backup. If you miss a shift and go over your shift point, then your in over rev. I know every motor has it, and it can be extenede out to even SLIGHTLY higher rpm's than 11k-11.5k! I just dont believe the numbers your claiming upwards of 12.5K-14K rpm. You said you got proof, lets see it. Cause I got lots of it too, and I already posted some dyno sheets for some RDZ drag bikes on the first page.

This is a copy and paste of a pm I got from Koolguyson:

"I hope you can understand, but my bike right now currently holds the ET record for my 775 and under class. I can't post up my dyno sheets.

Part of racing is that you can't let the other guys know what you have. Especially 3 weeks before the big race."

:clap:

This is a copy and paste of a pm I got from Koolguyson:

"I hope you can understand, but my bike right now currently holds the ET record for my 775 and under class. I can't post up my dyno sheets.

Part of racing is that you can't let the other guys know what you have. Especially 3 weeks before the big race."

:clap:

Seems a little rude if you ask me Snop :mellow: What is a dyno sheet going to ultimately prove in this sword fight anyway?

B

Seems a little rude if you ask me Snop :mellow: What is a dyno sheet going to ultimately prove in this sword fight anyway?

B

i would like to see koolguyson dyno sheets. he is claiming he can make power out to 14k then he should back up his claims and show us his dyno sheets. wat was his record neway?

B

How is it rude, if he stated he had proof of it, then I asked to see it?

The dyno sheet would prove he had either a big bore turning 12k-13k, or a small bore turning 14K. Although not impossible, but highly unlikely without some seriously expensive and smart work, then some good parts. He spouted off, that if you weren't turning the kind of rpm's he was turning, then you had something setup wrong with your bike. I say BS, I ride with plenty of fast drag bikes that dont turn those kind of rpm's. I find it highly unlikely that there is a strong majority of drag bikes out there turning those rpm's on drag passes.

How is it rude, if he stated he had proof of it, then I asked to see it?

The dyno sheet would prove he had either a big bore turning 12k-13k, or a small bore turning 14K. Although not impossible, but highly unlikely without some seriously expensive and smart work, then some good parts. He spouted off, that if you weren't turning the kind of rpm's he was turning, then you had something setup wrong with your bike. I say BS, I ride with plenty of fast drag bikes that dont turn those kind of rpm's. I find it highly unlikely that there is a strong majority of drag bikes out there turning those rpm's on drag passes.

I am just referring to bringing his PM ("personal" message) into the forum. It was obvious his intent was to keep the comment more personal.

I am not going to comment on the dyno sheet.

B