Oil?

xlazymx

It really depends on the oil. Cheap shit would run no leaner than 32:1(4 oz. per Gallon). You can go leaner with good oil, I run Klotz @ 40:1 (3.2 oz. per Gallon). It works out good, 16oz. with 5 gal. of fuel. It has just a puff of smoke when you rev. I wouldn't feel safe running any leaner than that, no matter what kind of gaurantee anyone makes. It is proven the more oil the more horsepower due to less friction, all the way down to 16:1 but you risk the chance of oil fouling the plugs, plus it would be a smokey SOB!

It really depends on the oil. Cheap shit would run no leaner than 32:1(4 oz. per Gallon). You can go leaner with good oil, I run Klotz @ 40:1 (3.2 oz. per Gallon). It works out good, 16oz. with 5 gal. of fuel. It has just a puff of smoke when you rev. I wouldn't feel safe running any leaner than that, no matter what kind of gaurantee anyone makes. It is proven the more oil the more horsepower due to less friction, all the way down to 16:1 but you risk the chance of oil fouling the plugs, plus it would be a smokey SOB!

we get golden spectro oil. it seems to be high grade Oil, well for the price. we run about 40:1 with it. would that maybe be too rich?

basically, as your getting goes up dramatically, the amount oil needed to mix goes down.for example, if you are running stock with 200 mains, and your dad is running modded with 300+ mains, you would mix 32:1, and he would mix 40:1. both engines would get the same amount of oil.

i'm not telling you to mix 32:1, just goving an example. it really depends on your environmentals, mods, etc. i actually checked the oil content in my internals before running less oil in my mix.

This not really true... You only need just "that much" oil, basically just enough to keep everything lubricated and spinning freely. I run Golden Spectro at 50:1, have done so for as long as I've owned this bike, 4+ years and it still kicks over with every bit as much compression. Oil does not make horsepower, it just allows for horsepower to be made easier (through being better lubricated), but like octane, once you have enough, additional does nothing for you. AKheathen makes a good point, if you are getting enough oil @ 32:1 on 200 mains, when you increase jet sizes you get more fuel and oil. Now, you may need a marginally increased amount of oil for the additional mods that required you to increase jetting that much, but you would be able to decrease the mix of the oil and still achieve the same amount of oil. Hope that makes sense...

• 1 month later...