Silver Lake Opener

Ok, So I will be going up for the opener. If any one else would like to meet up and ride let me know!!!

I will be in th pits with a BIGG white trailer that says... TEAM MAYHAM MotorSports.

See you there!!

Michigan guy here. Don't think I'll be making it for the opening trip. But I will definitely be making my way out there this season. Just curious about what EXACTLY dnr is checking for. I have been on there website and it says they do a sound check from "X" distance from the exhaust. Someone on here told me all they are looking for is spark arresters. Thanks for any input

Michigan guy here. Don't think I'll be making it for the opening trip. But I will definitely be making my way out there this season. Just curious about what EXACTLY dnr is checking for. I have been on there website and it says they do a sound check from "X" distance from the exhaust. Someone on here told me all they are looking for is spark arresters. Thanks for any input

i was there in july of last summer and there was no db checking what so ever. The only thing they were checking for was spark arrestors. Not sure if that is going to change for this season though.

i was there in july of last summer and there was no db checking what so ever. The only thing they were checking for was spark arrestors. Not sure if that is going to change for this season though.

I have NEVER seen them check for DB.

BUT, yes they do check for sparkys!!! You will get ASS RAPED if you dont come with them and have to buy them at Duneland.

FYI.

EXHAUST SYSTEM RULES AND TESTING

Vehicle muffler noise and the use of spark arresters has been a matter of concern regarding the operation of ORVs for many years. Michigan's ORV Law has required them since 1975. At Silver Lake State Park, a static or stationary test for this equipment is used on all types of vehicles. Noise levels will be checked at a 20-inch distance from the exhaust pipe at half the vehicle's rated revolutions per minute (RPM) or as detailed in the automotive specifications SAEJ1169, March 92 or SAE J1287, June 86. The maximum noise level permitted under these testing conditions will be 94 dBa which is the current limit set by the Off-Road Recreation Vehicle Act as Park 811 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.811). All vehicles are required to have a muffler and spark arrester containing baffles meeting established United States Forest Service specifications.

Generally speaking, the guidelines for testing at "half the rate RPM" will be based on some vehicle similarities. In most cases, full-sized vehicles with "V" configured engines will be tested at 2,500 RPM and all others at 2,000 RPM, which was a method developed and used while testing these vehicles at Silver Lake in 1997. Diesel powered, full sized vehicles are tested at 1,500 RPM. Most reverse flow mufflers will meet the spark arrester requirements, as will most turbochargers. However, straight-through mufflers, such as glass-packed design, without baffles and mechanically driven superchargers, do not qualify as adequate spark arresters.

Motor cycles and ATVs will be tested like the full-sized vehicles by placing a sound meter at a 20-inch distance from the muffler exhaust pipe. In most cases, 80cc engines will be tested at 6,000 RPM, 125 cc at 5,000 RMP, 250 cc at 4,000 RPM and 500+ at 3,000 RPM. Annually, the Motorcycle Industry Council produces a manual detailing the standards ATVs and motorcycles must meet. A muffler that meets the Environmental Acoustic Reduction (EAR) standards may be considered as a viable solution for motorcyclists. Many ATV and motorcycle mufflers are stamped as being USFS approved and will meet the Silver Lake State Park standards, if they have not been altered. Those vehicles that have been manufactured for "closed track" use only, such as many motorcross or dirt bike motorcycles and competition style ATVs, will most likely not meet the requirements. This is also often true where after market installations have altered the original exhaust system in attempts to gain additional horsepower.

Testing for compliance with these regulations will be done in a random fashion either within the ORV Area Parking Lot, at the base of the ORV Area entrance ramp roadway by the Safety Check Station or within the ORV Area sand dune complex itself. Park Rangers and other Law Enforcement Officials may insert a plastic rod into the vehicle's exhaust pipe to determine whether there is a spark arrester or baffle present. Most often home-made baffling devices, such as steel wool or metal screen door material, do not meet the USFS requirements.

This excerpt was taken from the State of Michigan DNR site. Please visit the DNR site for more information: http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365...34760--,00.html

• 3 weeks later...

i'll be up there for the 11th and 12th... depending if i can get the quad running, jeep, bake or the shee... we'll have to see.

as for dB testing... ive seen it and had to get silencers, and yes i got ass raped by duneland. its quite rare but if you are noticeably loud.. they will say something.

yeah they do test for DB's both times i took the 4-poker out i got checked. And that was with STOCK exhaust :down: then guys with LOUD LOUD 3-wheelers just rode by :banghead: They stand back a little ways and have you hold the throttle at around half throttle. If your quad has packing in the silencers and you have spark arrestors you are golden.

If you pull to the enterance and sound too loud they will db check you. I think they are more strict on holiday weekends. My wife has been checked on her raptor, I was checked on a 450. I think the limit is 95 db but not too sure. :shrug: