Optimal shock length with 450 arms?

bbcmudtruck

Anyone with 450 arms, what shock length would be optimal? I know that it sits low, even with 450 shocks, which are 1 1/2 longer than stock. What length would make it sit level?

Are you kidding me? With how many times you crashed that thing?

You'll need an act of god for your bike to sit level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Get to the chat room) :evil:

So how about 16.5" tripple rates? Also, is there a specific year to look for, or will all the 450 front ends work? I want to do a complete conversion with the brakes, spindles everything but the shocks.

16.5" will work, but will sit lower than optimal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have set of 450 arms and shocks getting ready to do the swap but just came across deal on a set of brand new long travel elkas with rezzies but they are 19.5 long mmm the wheels are spinning probably to long for 450 arms but might be good if some one had a set of +3 banshee or +1 yfz's

Anyone with 450 arms, what shock length would be optimal? I know that it sits low, even with 450 shocks, which are 1 1/2 longer than stock. What length would make it sit level?

Which spindles are you going to run, YFZ450 or the Banshee spindles? that will also determine how long of a shock you can run. You gain a few inches of travel with yfz450 spindles.

Which spindles are you going to run, YFZ450 or the Banshee spindles? that will also determine how long of a shock you can run. You gain a few inches of travel with yfz450 spindles.

If i ran the 450 arms and spindles could i run a 19.5 inch elka long travel shock with rezzie or would i just be better off with stock 450 arm/shocks with banshee spindles ? Thanks

If i ran the 450 arms and spindles could i run a 19.5 inch elka long travel shock with rezzie or would i just be better off with stock 450 arm/shocks with banshee spindles ? Thanks

I'll have to get back to you about running the 19.5 shocks, But I would recommend running the yfz450 spindles because you don't run the risk constantly maxing out ball joint travel.

I'll have to get back to you about running the 19.5 shocks, But I would recommend running the yfz450 spindles because you don't run the risk constantly maxing out ball joint travel.

Cool thanks, i just found a set of brand new 19.5 inch elkas with resovoirs for $350 cash those things are $7-800 new so i might just pick them up and if i cant use them just sell them (but i really would like to use them) lol

btw sorry for the hi jack

Edited by 88-04banshee

• 3 weeks later...

Ok forget the 19.5 elkas i am getting ready to pick up a set of 18.5 but i have a question if i use anything longer than 17.5 wont it rely on the ball joint to stop ? fully extended after installing my yfz spindles it measures 17.5 so wouldn't the shock serve as a type of limiter ? i just think that is a lot of weight to be on the ball joints if the shock is longer than the limit am i over thinking this ? also i forgot to get the stock brake lines which it looks like i need does the top part adapt on the banshee lines or do i have to change something else ? Thanks