Tranny oil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order for a leaking O ring to put water in your oil, it would basically have to almost fill up the bottom of the crankcase, and then your case halves would have to be leaking.. It's almost next to impossible. It would either be the water pump seal, or the o ring on the metal hose that goes into your clutch cover.

In order for a leaking O ring to put water in your oil, it would basically have to almost fill up the bottom of the crankcase, and then your case halves would have to be leaking.. It's almost next to impossible. It would either be the water pump seal, or the o ring on the metal hose that goes into your clutch cover.

Ok cool thank you.

Sounds like your water pump seal is bad as stated above. Slide the water pump out and check the shaft for a groove. If you have a billet water pump impeller it is pretty common the seal will put a groove in the water pump shaft causing it to leak. If you have the stock water pump impeller its most likely the water pump seal.

the grove your talkin about... would it be a grove around the shaft like this? cause mine is leaking... I replaced the seal and the o-ring.. Im guessing i have to get another impellor???

post-20703-1234079279_thumb.jpg

Edited by hollisatp

the grove your talkin about... would it be a grove around the shaft like this? cause mine is leaking... I replaced the seal and the o-ring.. Im guessing i have to get another impellor???

My stock one has a grove just like that, good question,if u have that grove should we replace the whole impellor?

that is the problem right there it is not a brand name impeler when they started to make aftermarket impelers they used aluminum well that impeller spins preatty quick causing it to heat up on the O ring and makes the mark. after a lil Q&A they went to a stainless steal shaft this is the one you wont I havent heard of the stock ones doing the grooving much but if that is whats on here it shouldnt be there

If your impeller shaft has a groove then it needs to be replaced. What happens in the stainless on the aftermarket impellers is soft and the seal actually cuts into it after time. My first pro design impeller lasted about a year. The second pro design impeller I'm on is going 5 years strong.

That's exactly the groove I'm talking about.. That needs to be replaced. No matter what you do, if you try to use that it will leak.

Someone tell me where the underlined is?

There is a hose running down in between the intakes from the head. The hose connects to a metal hose that feeds into the side of the clutch cover. When you remove the cover there will be a clip holding that metal tube into place and an O ring behind it. That seals the metal tube from leaking water into the the cases. It seals inside the clutch cover.

Hope that helps. I don't have any pics to share.

thanks for all the help... sorry to jack the thread... I have had this problem for a year now and got no good answer until now!! One more question... I have drained the oil/coolant out.... tipped the bike sideways and put a cinderblock under the tires to drain more...

how can I get the rest out, and how much do i have to remove before I can refill?? Can I use ATF to clean it???