4 mil stock stroke gearing?

Oregon Banshee

I have a 4 mil stock bore engine with v force 3 reeds and advanced timing to +5. CPI pipes and 10 paddle 73 RO SL's and a +6 swinger. i can't launch in 2nd it bogs then gets going. if i launch in first i stand stright up. i always end up catching them but i want to get them out of the hole. i am running stock front and a 43 rear. i do alot of tree shots, any and all suggestions will help thanxs.

that does seem like the problem.. too much paddle. cuz i was playin around once on my stock ltr and threw my buddies 10 paddle extremes just to see what it would be like, and thats exactly what was happening.. except a lil worse, it would stand straight up then bog.

I run 15x41 close to same power with +4 swinger buti run 8 paddle 21" haulers on 8s. I bog in 2nd but launch hard in first. I have to be over the bars on the launch, i'm 230 pounds. Was thinking of dropping down to 14x43 gearing kinda of inbetween the 14x41 and 15x41 to see if it will launch in second. If you can take off in second you are better off, no chance of hitting neutral.

With a +6 swinger, i would say drop a few paddles, you will also gain some top end speed, doesn't sound like you need so many paddles out of the hole if it is hooking that hard.

I've seen quads with less power stock stroke and are tuned correctly(ie swing arm length to tire height and paddles to weight and power and gearing) blow away cubs that aren't tuned correctly.

Kinda an art form lost to many. they think more is better, ie more paddles, or they go to long on swinger, or tire diameter and gearing

good ideas i am really looking to launch in second and i love the bite of my 10 paddles. i actually think i am running a 13x44 combo on sprockets. i was thinking of dropping either to a 12 tooth on the front or adding a tooth to the rear. i am a heavier guy i weigh 220. i don't drag race alot either its just every once in a while. i do tree shots more than anything else. i am running a 22 inch rear paddle also. i wanna avoid first as much as possible. i hate hitting neutral when i am trying to shift. any more ideas. the more the better.... thanks

good ideas i am really looking to launch in second and i love the bite of my 10 paddles. i actually think i am running a 13x44 combo on sprockets. i was thinking of dropping either to a 12 tooth on the front or adding a tooth to the rear. i am a heavier guy i weigh 220. i don't drag race alot either its just every once in a while. i do tree shots more than anything else. i am running a 22 inch rear paddle also. i wanna avoid first as much as possible. i hate hitting neutral when i am trying to shift. any more ideas. the more the better.... thanks

I would try a 13-41 or maybe a 13-43 since your weight.. With a 6 over I would keep the 10pdles.. Jmo

sorry about topic it is a 4 mill stroke with stock bore. just realized my mess up.....

I am running almost the same setup you are. I have a 4 mill stock bore and i am running 21x12x8 paddles wich stand the same height as a 22 and i have no trouble starting a drag race in second gear at all. I am running a 13 41 sprocket setup. If it is bogging of the line in second you may be just a touch fat on the bottom. O and i weigh 230 lol and getting heavier all the time.

I would not run anything less then a 13 on the front. Tough on chains. I dont think its too much tire, especially with the 4mil. I have same tire 22x11x8 10pdl SLS combo on stock stroke and works fine. Sometimes I have the same prob you explained, try playing with tire pressure. Little will go along way. Pump up to get more wheel spin off the line, too low and youll fold tires over and get mega traction or bog. Wet/dry sand will also mess with your launchs. I run 13-44 light drag and treeshots...

check this pic below, if you zoom in on the rear you can see im underinflated therefore tires are folding and get same characteristics your describing.

dsc0095xf0.jpg

Edited by werner

• 1 month later...

I'm running a Passion 4 mill with a stock length swinger and 21" 10 paddle extremes. I slip it in second and it flies out of the hole. Hard to keep the front down but alot of fun. If it's tuned close I wouldn't think you should have a problem. I think I'm running 15-41. Maybe 14-41. Can't remember. I'd have to look. It blows them off in first but slingshots in second.