Won't start when cold...Need some advice

Hey guys, I've been having trouble with the shee this winter. I have a recent rebuild with great compression but I can't get it to start when it is cold. I thought it might have been the Castor 927 seperating in cold weather but I cleaned the tank out and put in Golden Spectro and it still won't start cold.

I can get it to start if I pour a little gas into the cylinder, and after its warm it will run great and start right up. So, I know I don't have an electrical issue, because I have a strong spark.

I have a 27.5 pilot and have cleaned out the carbs about 4 times this winter, so I'm trying to narrow down whats wrong.

Do you think I have too small of a pilot in? I just found a set of 30's and I also have a set of 25's. I am going to start with the 30's first and see if that will fix it. Anyone have this kind of problem before? '

Thanks,

Travis

Hey guys, I've been having trouble with the shee this winter. I have a recent rebuild with great compression but I can't get it to start when it is cold. I thought it might have been the Castor 927 seperating in cold weather but I cleaned the tank out and put in Golden Spectro and it still won't start cold.

I can get it to start if I pour a little gas into the cylinder, and after its warm it will run great and start right up. So, I know I don't have an electrical issue, because I have a strong spark.

I have a 27.5 pilot and have cleaned out the carbs about 4 times this winter, so I'm trying to narrow down whats wrong.

Do you think I have too small of a pilot in? I just found a set of 30's and I also have a set of 25's. I am going to start with the 30's first and see if that will fix it. Anyone have this kind of problem before? '

Thanks,

Travis

how cold is it? when it gets below 20, i have to heat my pipes, plugs, and carbs and then it fires with the choke pulled, about 5-10 kicks. you don't wanna know the issues when it's below zero. i just throw it under a tarp with a heater 30 min before i stert it now. if it's pullin fuel, heat the pipes with a torch and it should fire. what mods, elevation, and main jets do you have. if you're still on pump gas, you can get the additive for the 927

Its in the upper 20's and the 30's. I also have been thinking that it might have something to do with my choke. It will not stay all the way out on full choke, and I have to hold it out. I'm going to take my pods off and cover the back of the carbs up and see if this will get it started. If so, I guess I have a problem with my choke circuit. I'll also screw in my pilot screws to richen it up some.

Are there any other ways to check for a bad choke? I'll report back in a couple hours

Its in the upper 20's and the 30's. I also have been thinking that it might have something to do with my choke. It will not stay all the way out on full choke, and I have to hold it out. I'm going to take my pods off and cover the back of the carbs up and see if this will get it started. If so, I guess I have a problem with my choke circuit. I'll also screw in my pilot screws to richen it up some.

Are there any other ways to check for a bad choke? I'll report back in a couple hours

This is a super common problem, I see it 3 times a week or more. MODS I think we need a STICKY!! on this one, it will help people out, and hands down is the biggest problem.

First off, the issue is with your choke circuit. It runs once it is primed, so thats the issue. First off, questions:

Are both of your carb slides mounted so that the cut faces the inlet?

Is the needle retainer positioned so that the hole in the slide is visable threw the slot that the cable mounts into?

Is your transfer tube connected to the correct boss?

Is the O-ring on the choke plunger in good shape?

Are the carb bowls mounted so the bowl with the air bleed jet is on the left carb?

If all of these check out, then move on to cleaning. The choke and pilot circuit are very picky. It takes compressed air from a compressor at around 60psi, and some spray on carb cleaner. remove the main jet, pilot jet, and the brass tube that the needle goes into, and the main jet threads into (remove the main jet, and use a plastic punch to push it out the top of the carb. Hose them down with the cleaner, and blow out ever little hole in that thing. Reassemble, and start it up. The first time you put totally dry carbs on, the choke circuit probaby won't work. Put your hand over the carbs and kick it to make a poor mans choke. After its running, pull the choke plunger out, until it start running bad (purges the air out of the circuit and gets some fuel in it). After all of that, shut if off and let it cool down, really cold. Then go out after a few hours, pull the choke, and when it starts on the second kick, go drink beer, cause your all that man is, and you made a machine your bitch.

I had the same issue, and chased my tail and ended up doing a top end, new reeds, new reed cages, plugs, changed pilots and cleaned the carbs. After some digging, I found out that the previous owner had the carb slides backwards, the slide vent hole covered, and some others suff wrong. It took the compressed air cleaning to actually fix it, and it was NIGHT and DAY after that cleaning.

Edited by regalrocket

I just finished cleaning the choke, and the O-ring is in great shape. Also have thoroughly cleaned the pilots, and mains. I just got it started by covering the back of the carbs with a rag. Does this mean I might have the bowls on the wrong carb? I also will turn my air screws in to richen it. I currently have a 27.5 pilot. Am I too rich, too lean? I'm glad I got it started by covering the back of the carbs, making progress. Keep the suggestions coming!

I just finished cleaning the choke, and the O-ring is in great shape. Also have thoroughly cleaned the pilots, and mains. I just got it started by covering the back of the carbs with a rag. Does this mean I might have the bowls on the wrong carb? I also will turn my air screws in to richen it. I currently have a 27.5 pilot. Am I too rich, too lean? I'm glad I got it started by covering the back of the carbs, making progress. Keep the suggestions coming!

If the bowls are swapped that will make the choke not function at all. I wouldn't worry about jetting, right now its not getting enough gas, focus on the choke circuit.

Ok I took the bowls off and the bowl marked 1-1 is on the choke side and the 1-2 is on the kickstarter side. I think this is correct right?

I changed the pilot from 27.5 to 25 and it started the first kick. I have the air screw at 1.5 out.

It doesn't seem as though the choke is doing anything, as after it is idling full choke doesn't kill it. My choke doesn't catch at 1/2 or full out, which means I have to hold it open. Does the O-ring make the choke stay in position? I took it out and it looks good.

Ok so I switched the bowls and it started right up. Someone said that 1-1 is supposed to be on the LH side but it goes on the RH side. On the front of the LH (choke) bowl there is a brass ball that sticks about halfway out. I think this is the only way to tell which one is which when they are mounted. Thanks for the help guys.