4mmstroker compression

kbone77

I installed a 4mm stroker 5mm longrod crank on my 2000. my compression is low at 125psi both sides. it's a fresh topend 65.5mm pistons, w/ a noss coolhead w/ 20cc domes. I was expecting the compression to be higher. I used a base spacer and I'm thinking that could be the source of my low compression, or the cause of poor performance. The exhauxst port is stock, and is approx 29mm from top of the deck. My main question is: Does using the base spacer w/ stroker crank mess up your port timing, and potentially the performance? seems like it would. I used it simply because it came w/ the kit-and I didn't know any better. Should I scrap that spacer and get some domes for the coolhead to accomodate the additional 2mm upstroke? Anyone know the piston/head clearance at TDC?

I sent the jugs out to LA Sleeve and they said the existing port was fine. they just cleaned things up and did a bore and matched the pistons. what type of porting is done to match a stroker?

do you have stroker domes instead of regular domes? if so than thats the problem.

most GOOD 4mm setups dont use the spacer plate. in your case since you used your cylinders with existing porting and a spacer plate, you should NOT be using stroker domes. you need regular domes.

i bet thats your problem.

if you decide to ditch the spacer plate, you will have to have your cylinders reported or buy new ones. then you will need to use stroker domes, which is the preferred method by most everyone.

I got the domes used on ebay, they were not listed as stroker domes. maybe they actually are though, I'll have to remove the spacer and check clearances. still confused on the porting-without the spacer the port timing would be exactly the same as w/ the stock crank-wouldn't it? with the spacer plate -the degrees would be different then stock, because the spacer effectively moves all the ports up 2mm.

or are you simply saying additional porting for flow is required for the additional displacement the stroker creates?

or are you simply saying additional porting for flow is required for the additional displacement the stroker creates?

No, if you are running stock port cylinders, you HAVE to run a spacer plate. If you want to run stroker domes instead, you would have to have the cylinders ported to affectively "raise" the ports for the 4mm stroke, and ditch the plate. one or the other... except, I have run stock port cylinders w/a 4 mil crank, (no "plate"), and stroker domes in the past. makes a excellent woods bike, TONS of low-end, but NO top-end...and if you try to run them on top, set-up like this, the motor won't last too long.

I got the domes used on ebay, they were not listed as stroker domes. maybe they actually are though, I'll have to remove the spacer and check clearances. still confused on the porting-without the spacer the port timing would be exactly the same as w/ the stock crank-wouldn't it? with the spacer plate -the degrees would be different then stock, because the spacer effectively moves all the ports up 2mm.

No, timing between a stock crank and 4mm crank are totally different when comparing on the same cylinders. The key word here is rod angle. Porting for a 4mm addresses not only timing issues but changes in cylinder flow from the stroker crank. At least when it is done correctly... Yes, you need to lose the plate. I strongly suggest you get an engine builder to look at your engine.

Brandon

No, if you are running stock port cylinders, you HAVE to run a spacer plate. If you want to run stroker domes instead, you would have to have the cylinders ported to affectively "raise" the ports for the 4mm stroke, and ditch the plate. one or the other... except, I have run stock port cylinders w/a 4 mil crank, (no "plate"), and stroker domes in the past. makes a excellent woods bike, TONS of low-end, but NO top-end...and if you try to run them on top, set-up like this, the motor won't last too long.

huh ?? :rolleyes:

Edited by blowit

It is a ported motor-I was simply stating that the exhaust port height was stock. sorry if I failed to mention that. The exhaust ports have just been cleaned up, and the intake/transfers have been ported out. I think they used to call this a stage 1. Prior to the stroker crank build it worked very well w/ the CPI inframes at the dunes. had a nice mid range punch w/ never ending topend. After the stroker build it didn't run as good as before, I believe due to the low compression. Just trying to gather as much info as possible and resolve the compression issue- before I put it back together.

Thanks Blowit. Ditching the plate sounds like the right way. Then I'll need to confirm which domes I have, they were supposed to be regular, but may actually be stroker domes.-But that would obviously explain the compression problem. Trying to do everyhthing myself that I can-I'm hesitant to take it to a shop because of bad/expensive past experiences.

If he were running stroker domes and a plate the compression would be much lower than 130. I suspect either a faulty guage, not holding the throttle wide open during the test or not kicking it enough times. Were the cylinders within 5psi of each other? The motor had allready been ported before the 4mil, I suspect his running issues are because with the plate the transfer port durations are too high. This will cause the bike to not rev out as far as it should