Presidents Camping Arrangements

XxMeltIcexX

Just curious , would it be less dusty around wash 10-12 ish?? Dont know as i have never been to the wash area. Is Gecko area dusty too? I figured Gecko would be a zoo to try and get in/out of .?

The further south you are, the less dusty it usually is...depending on wind direction. Wash 12 will probably be rat packed with as many people as can fit. I've not been south of 12 so I can't say how it would prolly be, but with this being one of the biggest weekends, I'd think it'll be tight to at least wash 15...

Sometimes there isn't much wind in the morning so the dust just hangs in the air. When you go out on a morning ride, sit on a high peak and look back to the wash area, you (sometimes) can barely see vehicles because it's so dusty...don't get me wrong...I'm not afraid of dirt!! They don't call it "the dust bowl" for nothing!!

Usually the wind comes in from a WNW direction and the washes are on the downwind side. Check it on Google Earth, just punch in Glamis and it centers on the Glamis store. The washes are directly below it, just west of the train tracks. That area will be packed for the first 3 miles and about 1/4 mile wide with campers. After that, maybe not so sardine like...

Wash 20 is 5 miles from the store.

Gecko doesn't have anywhere near the amount of ATV traffic because people usually park more or less single file next to the road. The dust isn't a problem because people aren't blazing next to your camp at 30 +MPH and/or doing donuts next to you all night either. Plus, since the wind is usually at your back, whatever dust is pushed away from your camp.

As for getting in and out, both places have 1 road leading in/out. If you are leaving mid day, good luck. I usually leave closer to sundown and haven't had to wait, but I left at 1PM over Thanksgiving and it took about an hour to get out from camping at wash 6.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm...x11closures.pdf

They both have their advantages, but I like the dunes better at Gecko. Bear in mind I'm a 75/25 duner/dragger.

What I hate is the fukn non-stop Ice Cream Trucks!!! :blink:

http://www.stickdeath.com/iscream.html

Side note...It's easier to sleep if you have ear plugs... :biggrin:

Edited by jayzx750

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will also hear banshees and four pokes all the way home........Dam rough weekends!!LOL..........

Man, I know how that goes.. After a long weekend of hearing engines all day and night non-stop you continue to hear them long after you leave.. Sure it will be well worth it though!

RIPPEN

The last time I went on a big weekend we camped in 23, we had 9 motorhomes with trailers and 10 trucks with trailers. dust weasnt an issue, dunes are right there. We had no prob with theaft or any other bullshit. The fuckin train will scare the shit out you in the wee hours of the morning though LOL