I got a Few questions about my '01 banshee

bahlduzzi

Hello, I am new to this site and have only owned my banshee for about a month now. I love it, it runs really good and is really fast. I just have a couple questions about it and was hoping I could get some answers here. I am very fimiliar with 2 stokr motors. I have snowmobiled and worked on them for a long time.

The guys I bought it from ran amsiol and gave me a few bottles that he had sitting around. They are small bottles, mabee 8 oz or so. He said he ran one bottle per tank but recomended I run 2. Does anyone know what I should run to be safe? Is there a better oil or cheaper but just as good that I could run instead of amsiol?

I have been looking at one of those dyna high rev cdi boxes, are they worth it? Is there anything I would have to do to my quad to run this or can I just plug it in and go?

Thanks in advance to any info you can give.

This topic has been covered thousands of times. You can use the search button up top to get many of the answers that you need to find. You are going to get lots of different opinions. People on here run anywhere from 24:1 to 100:1 ratios. And, all different types of oils. Maxima Castor927, Klotz Supertechniplate, Maxima SuperM, Amsoil, Yamalube, etc., etc........ The list goes on and on, and on, and on. I personally use Maxima SuperM at 36:1. SuperM is a synthetic blend.

If the bike is stock and you want to go cheap, just buy yamalube brand 2R oil at your local Yamaha dealership. When people notice your question you will probably get different suggestions because everyone likes to use something different. Just search the forum, because the question about oil has been answered several times. My suggestion is just find a local bike shop, if not a yamaha dealer, that deals with atv's and see what brands they sell for banshee's. You can also order some online if you want, or if you have too, at sites like rockymountainatv.com or motosport.com. I personally am using Maxima Super M right now. Other good ones are Bel-Ray and the Klotz brand. I will also suggest that you get a measuring cup like the one on motosport.com called the Ratio Rite. I always mix my fuel like I'm in a lab because the morons who just guess and mix what they think obviously don't care and their bikes run shitty. If you mix your oil right, your bike will appreciate you for it and it will run great. Oh, and ALWAYS use premium.

As far as the aftermarket Cdi box is concerned, its purpose is to map your engine differently to take advantage of aftermarket upgrades. There really is no point in getting one if you have a stock exhaust system. Any shee fanatic on this site will tell you that a good exhaust system is the first thing you EVER do to a banshee if you want it to go faster, besides rolling it down a cliff. It is an unwritten rule. If it is not stock, there are still other things that are better that you can do before a aftermarket cdi box. You just need to snoop around in the mod section and learn.

Thanks for the great info guys!! anything else will be greatly appreciated!!!

wow, that was a mouthfull. i don't know what he means by "we" but there are people on here running other oils for different reasons too. i'm running torco gp-7 full synthetic, and mt engine is extremely clean inside, i can personally attest that it won't separate at 20 below, and it really sticks around to do it's job, without leaving deposits. the richer igo on the jetting, the leaner the mix ratio. i just bumped up to 40:1 to get the smoke down, and trust me, there is still more than enough oil in the rotating assembly/ pistons. just thaught i would throw another unmentioned oil out there, that imo, is the most protection for the buck. and the most popular oil i've heard on this site is castor 927, but only ahead by a bit, and carried at the dealership, like my torco and yamalube:biggrin:

hat's your jetting? what's the temp?

I really don't know. I will tryu to check my jetting. So once I have it jetted I can adjust the jetting acording to the outside temp by adjusting my oil ratio? I will check the jetting and we can go from there. I got my studs put in and want to take it out to the lake.

I just got off the phone with ht e local dealer and he told me to run 32:1 with amsiol on my bike. Now it is going to be in the mid 20's tomorrow and I want to take it out to the lake to try out the ice tires I got. Can I just slim down on the oil a bit instead of re-jetting? Mabee if I went down to 25:1 or so? Just wondering.

wow, that was a mouthfull. i don't know what he means by "we" but there are people on here running other oils for different reasons too. i'm running torco gp-7 full synthetic, and mt engine is extremely clean inside, i can personally attest that it won't separate at 20 below, and it really sticks around to do it's job, without leaving deposits. the richer igo on the jetting, the leaner the mix ratio. i just bumped up to 40:1 to get the smoke down, and trust me, there is still more than enough oil in the rotating assembly/ pistons. just thaught i would throw another unmentioned oil out there, that imo, is the most protection for the buck. and the most popular oil i've heard on this site is castor 927, but only ahead by a bit, and carried at the dealership, like my torco and yamalube:biggrin:

By "we" he means his company/business

Alot of people on here use klotz..