compression/mixture/exaust question.

robmoney

what up peeps, been a while since I posted.

Broke the banshee out today....changed the oil, fired it up. Smoking a little more than I like. I bought it last year, and only put about 20 hours on it. It has always seemed to smoke a little bit more than I thought it should have.

Both plugs look good.

Not much oil in the pipes.

Compression checked tonight 115 left and 110 right. (im at sea level...so cal)

-----

using Craftsman Compression Test Kit

model# 47089

-----

That's about what a 2001 should be at...right?

Its fully stock. I mix 32:1, and am thinking of going 40:1

suggestions?

Edited by robmoney

A bit low on the compression, I'd probably recommend a hone and new pistons. Any more than 5psi difference between sides and you deffinately will want to rebuild.

I agree, about time for some good pipes. You won't believe the difference!

Is your air filter clean?? How old is the gas?? What jets are you running, should be @220's for sea level with a bone stock shee.

air filter is clean, its always been a little on the smokey side regardless of the age of gas. I ran 4 tanks of gas through it last winter, then topped if off

for summer storage.

I haven't changed the jetting on it.

A bit low on the compression, I'd probably recommend a hone and new pistons. Any more than 5psi difference between sides and you deffinately will want to rebuild.

I agree, about time for some good pipes. You won't believe the difference!

I know, Ive been telling myself to buy a set of pipes but all my play money has been going into my CBR :biggrin:

Smokey compared to what? I really dont mean to be an ass but Banshee's and 2 strokes in general are smokey by nature. especialy in colder temps. If your plugs are fine and the bike runs good you're probly fine. Banshee's are normaly a one side more or less than another problem when something's wrong. if both sides the same I wouldnt worry too much IMO.

Smokey compared to what? I really dont mean to be an ass but Banshee's and 2 strokes in general are smokey by nature. especialy in colder temps. If your plugs are fine and the bike runs good you're probly fine. Banshee's are normaly a one side more or less than another problem when something's wrong. if both sides the same I wouldnt worry too much IMO.

It was 67 degrees today, that's not really cold at all. I get you though...

Its not a freight train, but its more than a usual for a normal banshee.

The smoke is a little heavier on the right side...so maybe it is the compression.

but for some reason I remember hearing increased smoking starts a little under 100psi.....