Bent steering stem?

make sure you check the upper frame hoop where the stem mouts, that is prone to bending and cracking it is hard to measure to get a feel of it is bent, you can make sure the tank is lined up with the mounting holes where the bolts mount the tand and try and use the tank as a refrence in the front of the frame is closer to the tank on one side vs. the other...I am replacing a frame on a bike now that had that upper hoop bar broke and was re-welded...

yah, i'm pretty sure its bent back a little more than an inch at the top. i was painting the tank/grill plastics so i could see that there was no cracks yet. i gotta tear the front down to c-knotch and inner mount some longer clickers and make ressie mounts.... and who knows how far i'll go?

I'm leaning more and more toward a bent stem. My pro tapers and adapter risers are brand new so I'm going to say it's not them. the right side bar is 5/8" lower than the right.

More then likely its the stem, same shit happened to me.Taken it off is no biggie though,and Im sure NYUK will give you the players price on one. Atleast you didnt break some bones like I did when I bent mine.

OKay, I pulled the stem. If it's bent, it doesn't stick out like I expected. If I set it upside down on a hard flat surface and measure from the ground up to the steering stops one side is 2 millimeters shorter, which is the side that is lower. Also, if I lay the bar with the tie rod mount down on the flat surface it will rock back and fourth about 2 millimeters so that tells me it's twisted a little so I'm going to go ahead and buy a new one. I just can't see 2 millimeters uneven making the bars be 5/8" out at the end. But It's gotta be because the bars are good, I checked them just to make sure. The frame and all looks perfect down behind the radiator too.

It's actually bent a good 1/4". You can really notice it in this picture. The white tube is perfectly straight.

001-12.jpg

Do you think I have a camber issue? :biggrin:

010-3.jpg

(the radiator is loose, the bars obviously are just hanging and I pushed the wheels in. Nothing is messed up but it sure looks like it LOL)

Edited by JasonsBanshee