What should my timing be set at?

jbones

I have 87 banshee .015 off the head rad vavle toomy pipes k&n filter no lid on box 3/8 reed spacer boost bottle stock carbs 270 main jet run 32.1 pump gas ricky stator adjustable timing plate set at zero what could i do with timing to get a little more power ? :confused:

+4 is a good starting point, and usually where you should be. also remember, when changing your timing, you may need to upgrade on your fuel octane. that keeps you engine from spark knocking. what octane are you using now? what is your elevation? and what compression do you have?

also, try to use punctuation. makes it easier to understand.

+4 is a good starting point, and usually where you should be. also remember, when changing your timing, you may need to upgrade on your fuel octane. that keeps you engine from spark knocking. what octane are you using now? what is your elevation? and what compression do you have?

also, try to use punctuation. makes it easier to understand.

I run 93 octane,im at about 300 above sea level,and not sure about compression.Use maxum 927 two stroke oil.

Check your compression. I would start at +2. Make sure it isn't detonating, and then add another degree. If it's detonating, you will need to up the octane to maybe 100. You should be good though. Make sure it doesn't detonate, cause that will do some nasty damage to your pistons and head.

how easy is detonation to detect and how? and jbones, for future reference either ditch the boost bottle and reed spacers or dont bring them up cuz people around here have lots of negative opinions about them. do a search

what causes detonation? how can you find out before it blows? does it make a knocking noise and if so how loud is it? do i need 110 octane if i advance the timing?

stage IV head w/ 20cc domes

boyesen reeds

fmf fattys with powercore 2

bored .50mm over

40mm single carb

Edited by stageIVbanshee

what causes detonation? how can you find out before it blows? does it make a knocking noise and if so how loud is it? do i need 110 octane if i advance the timing?

stage IV head w/ 20cc domes

boyesen reeds

fmf fattys with powercore 2

bored .50mm over

40mm single carb

The heat created when compressing the air fuel mixture causes a low quality fuel to ignite in a higher compression engine.The air fuel mixeture ignites before it is suppose to while the piston is still in it's upstoke causing it to make a pinging sound.The pinging sound is the piston and rod assembly rattling from the force of the fuel igniting before it is suppose to needles to say this damages your engine quickly.This is how a diesel engine is designed to run and that is why they are typically noisey.

If you are at sea level then you need to mix your fuel at least 50/50 93 and race gas running 20cc.Advancing your timing does make your motor detonate easier,but if you go 4 deg at 50/50 and 20 deg you should be alright,this is at sea level the higher up you go in altitude the smaller dome you run without using race fuel.

if im at +4 timing and around 130psi on both cylinders should i be running higher octane than 94. im around 800-900 elevation. i have a stock head shaved .015 and a squish of .045.

We need to know what PSI are in the cylinders. Did you put a guage on it yet? Your compression ratio and timing dictate what octane fuel you need. Octane is only a number for rating when the gas will spark-knock. Gas is not rated Good, Better, Best. Find out what the compression is, and get back with us.