400 EX

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want something fast...get a 450.

But they are reliable as a brick...you can beat the hell out of them all day long.

Good trail quad, not great, but a good trail quad.

And because of all the 450s out, they're CHEAP...

It's fun, not fast...so remember that as you're looking.

I had one, best quad I bought at the time because I went all the way to the dunes, smoked a stator on my drag bike, bombed around the dunes the rest of the weekend on mine. Went out a month later, same thing, popped orings on the top..bombed around again.

Mine had a cam, a little more compression, pipe and air filter with works shocks up front. Great play, fun quad....

They are pretty fun. Very reliable and parts are very easy to find and are cheap cuz all the 450's are out. Some of the parts from 300ex's will fit them too. I had a 426 with stage 2 hotcams and I put it into a 300ex frame. I pulled a wheelie in 4th gear only did it once tho, but I was pumped I did. But in 3rd gear you can ride wheelies all day long.

Wide open, aggressive trails...the 450 has the better suspension and more power.

But for tight, tight trails...I'd rather be on a 400EX.

The YFZ 450 is more like a two stroke. Sure it has lots of power and torque when compared to a banshee, but...it makes the majority of it's power higher up in the RPMs.

The Hondas are more "traditional" type 4 stroke power.

I haven't rode a Green or Yellow 450 yet to comment on either, but....the LT with tires, exhaust and a cherry bomb is a pretty stout rig from what I've heard/read...