Choke causing engine to run lean?

regalrocket

Ok, this thing still won't start without a prime. The thing is 100 percent bone stock with the exception of the tors being removed. I have rebuilt the carbs, top end, replaced the stator with a good used unit. This thing still will not start without primimg. The primer plunger is new. When I pull the choke, the bike runs lean. I know cause I had the idle set lean with the airscrews, and when I pulled the choke, it didn't get better, it got much worse. I have the float bowls on the correct carbs, and everything seems good.

I am so frustrated, I am about to send these out to someone that is a professional and can guarantee that they will be perfect. Cause this is really getting too frustrating for me.

I am telling ya, some how that choke was causing it to run lean. When you pulled the choke, it would idle up like it had an air leak. If I adjusted the idle air screws in (rich) it would bog down and die. I pulled the carbs apart, and blew the crap out of every passage. Now it seems that I have it fixed, finally. I also think I had the vent hole on the choke carb slide blocked by the cable mount. Not sure how that interfaces with the choke, but there is a passage for the choke that does enter the top of the slide threw the notch in it at the top. That probably didn't help.

Ok, I've heard it over and over. After a day of sitting, it wouldn't fire with the choke off. Turned it on and it cranked right up. I am officially a believer. If everything is proper, these will just fire up, even in the NY cold Of course everything that is needed to be correct is a pretty long list. :biggrin:

not exactly. i'm here in alaska, and now that it's averaging 10 degrees, the choke is a necesity. i have to pull the choke to get it started, and a couple times while i'm rippin around for a min to get it warmmed up, then it runs right. since it only gets up to 20 now an getting colder, it's time to jet up, and keep my silencers in :down: and don't forget to turn the fuel off when it sits, the float needles really don't like cold :ermm:

Edited by AKheathen