Timing question

acfine

I installed my timing plate and have it set to what I think is +4. Could some of you experts just confirm my setting for me? I'm troublshooting some power issues and need to make sure that this part can be ruled out. I'm just going down the list trying to figure out my problem is. (fouling plugs/weak spark).

Everything ran just fine, and the only mod made at this time was the timing plate install. And since that ONE modification, I have seemed to develop a weak spark.

I've adjusted the gap and made sure it was at .02" and made sure all contact points were clean.

If this is indeed the correct setting for a +4 degree advancment, then I'm gonna go to plug wires and start looking there. Those had some activity lately, and did so when I installed the NOSS Collhead. This is driving me nuts, not being able to pinpoint why the problem. I'd love to think it was my stator, at least I'd know, and could replace, but this ONLY started happening immediately after my timing plate install.

My quad feels like it's at about 75% - 80% power wise and plugs are fouling. When checked, they were black, one was wet, the other like it had carbon mixed with oil, kind of like an oily sand look.

Please help...

Thanks,

Anthony

Timing Setting Pic 1 - (Please click: "Click to view full image" below, it's a good pic of the setting)

TimingSet_Arrorw1.JPG

Timing Setting Pic 2 - (Please click: "Click to view full image" below, it's a good pic of the setting)

TimingSet_Arrorw2.JPG

Thanks again

I can't really tell from the pic where your timing is set at, but I'd have to say based on the pics that some of your power issues could be due to the amount of moisture that has been in your stator cover. Your stator and pickup coil won't function properly with all of that rust and corrosion. I recommend saturating it all with penetrating oil and using a brush to try and clean the rust up. If you can't get it clean, then you should look for a used OEM stator and flywheel with the correct plugs for your bike. I don't recommend the Ricky Stator units, based on my personal experience they are junk. Then to avoid this in the future, make sure your stator cover is sealed good ie: good gasket, no cracks in cover and that the plug is installed in the small hole in front of your sprocket :thumbsup: You can also leave a light film of the penetrating oil on the flywheel ect. to avoid further corrosion.

I still can't figure out why it's not running as sharp as it did before the timing advancement. The stator was in its same rusty state before the timing plate install and it ran 100%. Could have just taking it apart and putting the new plate on have opened a bag of worms?

From idle to about half throttle it sputters a bit, then gets sharp sounding, and before the install, it always had that "sharp, crisp" tone to it...

Any help from you performance experts is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony