Just need a little more help.

DunePirate

I got the motor rebuilt now and it runs great, but... I have coolant leaking from the bolts in the center of the head (1-4) I tightened everything to spec 20ft.lbs and started it (this is when I noticed the leak) I then retorqued everything, and it has stopped... The coolant was coming up the center of the nut like between the nut and the threads of the stud...

I however, am still concerned that it was leaking in the first place. :ermm:

There is nothing but oil in the cylinders, and everything works great but,

1. Did I do something wrong ?

2. Are the bolts supposed to be retorqued right after start up ? ( I can see after like an hour but, immediately following start up as well )

I guess what I'm asking is, are you supposed to put anything on the threads, some sort of loc tite or something ?

How should I go about fixing this problem ( it has stopped, but I want to make sure it doesn't start up again )

Edited by DunePirate

Thats what we were thinking, just take off 1 at a time, put loc-tite on then and re torque it... Unless you guys have a better solution.

Looking for the right way to do this. Every oppinion/suggestion is helpfull

If you are going to put something on the threads, use teflon sealant rather than loc-tite. You'll just end up pulling the studs out of the cylinders next time you take it apart. I wouldn't worry about since it stopped. It is perfectly normal to, and you should, retorque everyting to spec after a heat cycle.

I followed the sequence, and I was thinking that but I will just take the sealer with me and if there is a problem I will worry about it then...

But yes, I'm going to get it nice and warm and retorque them again..