Chrome Chassis

J-Madd

After you dip it you have to polish it. That's why most chromers estimate the price on how hard it's gonna be to polish it after it's been dipped.

Has to be polished to near chrome finish before it's dipped, that's most of the price for chrome work.

Crown Plating in SLC, UT will do items that large. (801)364-0202, ask for Joe.

I'v seen it done before looks good for maybe the first 6 MO but then every weld joint starts to show rust. I talked to my chromer about it and he said that there are just too many places on a frame were the chrome won't adhere. there is a powder coat chrome that might be a better option.

I wouldnt chrome a chassis, if the welds arent perfect it will not look very good, I thought I liked chrome - damn man. :blink:

Damian Cole (quick16) does good work.

swingarm1.jpg

swingarm2.jpg

swingarm3.jpg

chassis1.jpg

chassis2.jpg

chassis3.jpg

chassis4.jpg

chassis5.jpg

Mods, if that's too many pics, I'll take some off - just wanted to show the welds to see if they look good enough.

Those welds look really nice from what I can see, your guy does nice work. The thing with chrome is it won't go into an inside convex very well. Best way to describe that is for you to look at the back side of a chrome bumper. I personaly can"t say if that would be an issue or not with your frame as I am not an expert on chroming. If it were a matter of trying out a new paint or pwder coat I would say go for it, you can always change it but with chrome your pretty much stuck with whatever results you get, good or bad and that doesn't look like a frame you would want to experiment with.

Those welds look really nice from what I can see, your guy does nice work. The thing with chrome is it won't go into an inside convex very well. Best way to describe that is for you to look at the back side of a chrome bumper. I personaly can"t say if that would be an issue or not with your frame as I am not an expert on chroming. If it were a matter of trying out a new paint or pwder coat I would say go for it, you can always change it but with chrome your pretty much stuck with whatever results you get, good or bad and that doesn't look like a frame you would want to experiment with.

Ohh..so once its chromed, it can't be pc'd later?? That was my last resort if the chrome was bad, or went bad later on. If that is the case, chrome is out. Definitely don't want to mess this chassis up. Its one of a kind, and he quit building them soon after this one.

From what my chromer told me is pwder coat would never hold up over chrome. My personal opinion is that is just too nice of a frame to risk. Try it on some used stock frame first. Like I said earlier I have seen it done and was surprised at how much I didn't like it. It was just to much.

Yeah and it's like any other polish you would have to wipe it to keep that nice chrome finish on it all the time. My swinger does that to me all the time it gets real dull so i have to just wipe it down with a cloth every now and then to get it to shine like it did when i first got it done.

• 2 months later...

TTT

I've pc'd the chassis "stardust" and it's badass. Color shift purple, black, gold, green, blue. Now I need to get the swingarm, a-arms, spindles, and handlebars/steering stem chromed. Who can do this in a reasonable amount of time? (2 to 3 weeks.)

I'd post pics of the chassis, but they don't do it justice. Also got one of my stock chassis pc'd emerald green metallic, or something like that. Tons of gold flake in it.

The guy that did the work had it done in 1 week. He does the powder coating for the "Boss Hoss" (350 CI and 502 CI) motorcycles and (jet powered and V-8 powered) barstools.