setting up some ice races for the winter

bansheejoel

So 87, Which one are you again????I get names mixed up so bad. Give me another season and I will get your guys names down pretty good. Yeah, he mentioned a couple names and I was like oh yeah, I know them. I told him he could just ask you guys about the motor since you have seen it run. I told him it was a hell of a runner for a stock stroke. He definetly wont be disappointed with that motor. Get building that motor man. I'm a little nervous about this whole ice thing too, but hey, if there's hot chocolate there, who could resist?

Im JD.. Ice riding is my favorite riding of all. Thats why im waiting on building this cub until late winter. Dont want to be in the garage while eveyone is having a blast on the ICE! Still got some more stuff to dave for too like override and all that jazz...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will give it a try. :thumbsup:

What are you doing for tires? will snowmobile studs work?

Yeah snowmobile studs hook amazing but pull out kinda easy if your using a thin tire. Im going to be buying a set of ice racing tires and putting around 300 screws in each of my back tires and prolly 150 in the fronts...I get about 5/8" screws.. A screw that long alot of the time will break through the tire so i get a bunch of old rubber and glue that to the inside of the tire, then wrap some duct tape around that and run a tube. works great with very very few pullouts. If i were to run snowmobile studs woodys sells a 96 carbide stud kit that includes studs, backers, and nuts for around $150 i think. 48 snowmobile studs in each tire will be plenty.

You can get 1000 ice racing screws for around $55

i would be intrested if i could get some tires. i have 3 other ppl i think would come to ride as well. but none of them have studs.

mabye we could make a studless class, just kinda more fun than a real race, for those who dont have the studded tires but still wanna give ice a try for the first time........dumb idea?

either case, i would prolly stop out to at least watch if yall dont want regular tires out there.

coming from detroit, but would be worth a drive. guiess i would have to get mine running soon....

pete, the wife said ur stateside sumtime round christmas?..........?

honestly man, running tires without studs sucks lol. All you do is spin like a bastard and go like 10mph lol and spin out in every corner. I might have a spare set of tires on rims someone can borrow for the day. They wont have 500 screws in them but i think i have around 250 left over than i could pop 125 in each tire. Its better than nothing i guess.

honestly man, running tires without studs sucks lol. All you do is spin like a bastard and go like 10mph lol and spin out in every corner. I might have a spare set of tires on rims someone can borrow for the day. They wont have 500 screws in them but i think i have around 250 left over than i could pop 125 in each tire. Its better than nothing i guess.

if any body need help builing tires with snowmobile studs in them give me a call or e mail and i can help out.1-616-318-4560 pete.

i think i have a set of stock front tires that i was gunna throw a way anyways. and my turf tamers have done their time. can i just stud both of those sets easy enough? i know there not fancy, and mabye not the perfect size. but free is free. lol. anybody tell me where to get studs and how to do it?

also....im asssuming round here the ice dont freeze good till like january? so im guessin i have some time to get mine running good?

i think i have a set of stock front tires that i was gunna throw a way anyways. and my turf tamers have done their time. can i just stud both of those sets easy enough? i know there not fancy, and mabye not the perfect size. but free is free. lol. anybody tell me where to get studs and how to do it?

also....im asssuming round here the ice dont freeze good till like january? so im guessin i have some time to get mine running good?

magic racing if you just wanna use the kold kutter screws..they sell them in packs of 250 or up to 1000.the pack of 1000 is the best way to go though for 60 bucks.

if you wanna use chissels or picks with backers i buy mine from Sport Mart over here in my neck of the woods..good people and pretty good prices,they'll hook you up with what you need. 586 791 8140

• 1 month later...
magic racing if you just wanna use the kold kutter screws..they sell them in packs of 250 or up to 1000.the pack of 1000 is the best way to go though for 60 bucks.

if you wanna use chissels or picks with backers i buy mine from Sport Mart over here in my neck of the woods..good people and pretty good prices,they'll hook you up with what you need. 586 791 8140

how is the ice are we going to get this going.

well i dunno if JD is still going to have them by him or not because this it got hella warm this last weekend and the river flooded like a bastard so the ice riding for around the nunica area is done. we had good ice but now there is a couple feet of water on top of it and i ice fished it for years and when that happens we dont get good ice agian for the year. talk to 87sheerips

well i dunno if JD is still going to have them by him or not because this it got hella warm this last weekend and the river flooded like a bastard so the ice riding for around the nunica area is done. we had good ice but now there is a couple feet of water on top of it and i ice fished it for years and when that happens we dont get good ice agian for the year. talk to 87sheerips

well if the ice is bad we can get over to gun lake south of grand rapids my parents live there and there is good ice all the time it is shallow and freezes good and there is a nice spot to run by the county park.