...New Banshee Owner....

Ok Fellas,

I know the Search function but im here at work and the search function is blocked on the server here on Base :(...Somehow i still managed to log in go figure

Here is my Shee

421 Cheetah Cub

Runs on Methanol

Lock-out Clutch

38MM Carbs

17MM Domes i think

VForce3 Reeds

and a few other things

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME AS I AM NEW TO THE 2 STROKE WORLD and VERY EAGER TO LEARN!

OIL- Which oil to run. The previous owner said he used straight up 30W oil and swears by it. Whats the reason for straight up 30W. If not what would be the recommended Oil to run. I read on here when i was home that some use a 10W30 or maybe i was mistaken. How long do you guys run oil before a change? In my LTR, i swap it out every 2 trips to the dunes or so. Depending on how long the trip was.

KLOTS- Which Oil to run with Methanol. How much mixture and such. Im going this week to pick up a Barrel of Methanol here in Oklahoma City. I never Mixed Methanol before so im hitting up the Bike shop Tuesday and getting some KLOTS. I read on here there are differetn KLOTS oils out there and wondering what was the best one for Methanol only Bikes.

Carbs and Reeds....I havent had a chance to run the shee yet and i wanted to clean the Carbs and reeds 1st before i take it out to the dunes this weekend. Any certain tips or tricks you guys got for me. I donwloaded the Banshee Service Manual from here and looking forward to tackle it this week.

Methanol....How long does it last? I plan on getting a barral but i heard it goes bad after a while. What is the shelf life? I try to hit up the Dunes at least 10 times or more a year so i think buying a drum would be better then buying 10 gallons here and 10 gallons there.

And while im at it, any other certain advice that i should know for a new Banshee Owner. All my buddies keep saying have fun with the Maintenance but i dont mind getting down and dirty working on things.

Thanks in Advance..( sorry, like i said, search function is INOP for our servers here on base :( )

Alan

Ok. Welcome to the site. Nice name. And thank you for serving from one Armed forces member to another!

To answer your questions.

A. Don't worry so much about your carbs and reeds. You can worry about swapping those out if the bike doesn't run right. Same thing with your domes.

B. Methanol does have a shelf life, just not as long as a gasoline based fuel. What I do is mix Klotz Super-Techniplate with my methanol at 32:1. I do not suggest going to far from that starting point in either direction.

C. Your gear oil is up to you. I have heard of people running different things in there, but most will tell you to run ATF type-F. Make sure it is type-F.

And last but not least, for a new banshee owner, have fun. Judging from your sig pic, you have yourself a nice bike there. The maintenance can be overwhelming at times, but that is half the fun. Just don't get discouraged and ask lots of questions when you get stuck. Most of the guys on here are pretty helpful to a guy in need.

- Justin

Justin,

Thanks...Im in the Air Force Stationed out here at Tinker AFB Oklahoma City...Wouldnt have it any other way....

Ok, now why wouldnt it be a good idea to clean the Carbs and Reeds? The guy i bought it from hasnt ridden the shee in about a year and was sitting in his garage. He just didnt have the time to ride it. When we started it up, he didnt have any Klotz and we had to use regular 2 stroke Oil mixed with Methanol to just start it up. Started up 2nd Kick so that was a good sign. I guess he was wanting me to clean it and get that junk out of the carbs.

Spark Plugs...Which ones to use....

Damn i feel like such a NOOB hahahaha

I could tell you how to build a Boosted Honda though LOL

Edited by The Shocker

sounds like a nice set up you got there.you still running the stock tranny in that? you should get a dunable override in that baby :thumbsup:

1.i run bel ray gear saver 80w...some people prefer other but thats what i run.i change my oil twice each season

2.i run klotz super techniplate in my bikes.blends with gas and methanol so i can just buy a gallon to run in all my toys..again,some people use others such as redline,benol,etc. i mix mine 32:1 and runs great

3.cleaning carbs and such..theres not really tricks to it.just dont half ass it when you do do it.brake clean works wonders for that.

4.sorry,i cant really help ya on this one.im not sure of the shelf life of meth.just keep it up on blocks or a shelf or whatever,not on the ground.

and dont forget to purge your bike after youre done with your trip or ride.the last thing you want is a set of rusted cylinders and pistons and gunked up carbs.u can purge with premium gas with the klotz oil mix.have fun with your new toy man :thumbsup:

sounds like a nice set up you got there.you still running the stock tranny in that? you should get a dunable override in that baby :thumbsup:

1.i run bel ray gear saver 80w...some people prefer other but thats what i run.i change my oil twice each season

80W...I was wayy off on the grid i guess then.

Tranny is Stock and i thought about an over ride tranny. Not sure on the 1-5 or 2-5 just yet.

Looking forward to others people inputs on this.

Thanks again fellas. Gotta love Forums filled with Knowledge :biggrin:

Right on man. I'm a Navy Corpsman serving with 2nd Marine Division right now. Corpsman UP!

I thought you had asked about switching your carbs and reeds. My fault. Cleaning them is a great idea. Never hurts. The more you keep your bike clean and free of debri, the better you are off. Especially riding in sand.

For your plugs, NGK iridiums. Same damn thing you run in your boosted Honda. Lol. The BREX9I. It's something like that.

Shocker,

I live in Edmond. PM me if you want any help.

I'll get you my # and Help you out as much as

I can.

Prolly headed for Lil Sahara for a quick trip this weekend.

Leme know if you wanna ride out there.

Brian

P.S. I know it's pretty far, but the best place I found to go for anything

banshee related here in OKC metro area is Phil's Cycle in ElReno.

Shocker,

I live in Edmond. PM me if you want any help.

I'll get you my # and Help you out as much as

I can.

Prolly headed for Lil Sahara for a quick trip this weekend.

Leme know if you wanna ride out there.

Brian

P.S. I know it's pretty far, but the best place I found to go for anything

banshee related here in OKC metro area is Phil's Cycle in ElReno.

Brian,

I was planning on heading out there this weekend as well. Still trying to get the fellas talked into it but some have to work. Still up in the air. tomorrow im headed to Baker Boys i guess to pick up an oil filter and anything else i can get up there from them. I got some Methanol left in a drum but its pretty old so might have to hit up redrock on the northside and see what they have to offer. I want to have everything done by thursday but its gonna be cutting it close. Send me your Number through PM, that would be fine. I noticed a few okies on here, gotta love it

Alan

Sent PM.

No oil filter on ur banshee.

Baker Boys has never had anything I needed. Good luck with them.

Red Rock will have good prices on performance fuels.

Prolly best to wait to buy large amount of methanol till after winter, but

if you plan to ride alot don't worry bout it.

Just don't store it directly on the floor (as stated earlier in the thread).

Prop it up on some wood and keep it sealed good and tight to keep moisture

out (methanol absorbs alot of moisture).