CBR 600 Motor into Banshee

QUOTE (ChippewaTSI94 @ Oct 12 2008, 04:30 PM)

In a straight up drag race there isn't any "driver skill" besides the launch, and then keeping it straight down the track. If you want to see driver skill, go do MX or watch a rally cross event.

That's pretty harsh. I have to disagree with that,

Now......does mx or tt, etc take more skill?....Of course, And does drag racing take more money than skill.......yes. But to say that drag racing takes no skill is ignorant.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChippewaTSI94 @ Oct 12 2008, 04:30 PM)

In a straight up drag race there isn't any "driver skill" besides the launch, and then keeping it straight down the track. If you want to see driver skill, go do MX or watch a rally cross event.

That's pretty harsh. I have to disagree with that,

Now......does mx or tt, etc take more skill?....Of course, And does drag racing take more money than skill.......yes. But to say that drag racing takes no skill is ignorant.

Ehh, okay, I was exaggerating a little bit for the sake of making the point. I've done quite a bit of drag racing, rally racing and everything in between so I have a healthy respect for drag racers. Takes a nearly clairvoyant reaction time and balls of steel to strap yourself to what's basically a cruise missile and launch headfirst down the strip.

However, it's definitely not as skill-dependent as MX or rally cross and I think you agree on that, and that's really the point I was making. My point is that drag racing has mostly evolved into who has more dollars to pour into their setup. Yes, rally and MX can be the same way, but you see much more disparity and variance in setups. It really doesn't take skill to shift or drive in a drag race once you've gotten the launch and the first 60 feet out of the way. It's a matter of standing on the pedal and shifting at predetermined RPM points which are shown to you by the tachometer and shift light, most of the time.

The whole idea was that it's silly to bash a CVT just because you deem it harder to shift a manual, like it's some sort of sacred art or whatever. With a CVT you still have to modulate the throttle input to prevent excessive wheelspin and bogging, just like you do by modulating the clutch with a manual gearbox. And who in their right mind would argue against going faster in the first place?

Ehh, okay, I was exaggerating a little bit for the sake of making the point. I've done quite a bit of drag racing, rally racing and everything in between so I have a healthy respect for drag racers. Takes a nearly clairvoyant reaction time and balls of steel to strap yourself to what's basically a cruise missile and launch headfirst down the strip.

However, it's definitely not as skill-dependent as MX or rally cross and I think you agree on that, and that's really the point I was making. My point is that drag racing has mostly evolved into who has more dollars to pour into their setup. Yes, rally and MX can be the same way, but you see much more disparity and variance in setups. It really doesn't take skill to shift or drive in a drag race once you've gotten the launch and the first 60 feet out of the way. It's a matter of standing on the pedal and shifting at predetermined RPM points which are shown to you by the tachometer and shift light, most of the time.

The whole idea was that it's silly to bash a CVT just because you deem it harder to shift a manual, like it's some sort of sacred art or whatever. With a CVT you still have to modulate the throttle input to prevent excessive wheelspin and bogging, just like you do by modulating the clutch with a manual gearbox. And who in their right mind would argue against going faster in the first place?

OK. :thumbsup: I have no experience with racing with a CVT, but I agree 100% on everything else. Hard to pick up on the exaggeration in a post sometimes. :biggrin:

OK. :thumbsup: I have no experience with racing with a CVT, but I agree 100% on everything else. Hard to pick up on the exaggeration in a post sometimes. :biggrin:

Well maybe that should be your next project! You certainly seem to have no shortage of extreme drag bikes based on your sig. Get yourself another Banshee drag frame and buy a used sled with a good motor. You can get SXR/SRX sleds for a decent price and part out the rest of it.

Not to mention all of this top fuel and pro stock reference is again MEANINGLESS to a Banshee racer and the technology we use. We don't have 1,000 HP. We don't even have 500 HP. Scale down to the terms we're talking about, the 100-250 HP range, and a CVT dominates. End of story.

I belive you brought drag racing cars in to the story when you made this comment. I was just stating some facts using the fastest of fastest.

Haha, here comes the old "bad driver" commentary. Watch any high performance drag racing and you tell me how many of them use manual transmissions. None. It's all automatics and Powerglides.

What would it cost you to build a Tripple cylinder Banshee? You couldn't even buy the CRANKSHAFT for $1,000, let alone the whole motor.

That is why I dont have one. I woudlnt pay that kind of money for a toy, and I also wont have a butched, and cobbled up half breed banshee ethire. So where is your foot peg going to be located?

If you wouldn't pay that kind of money for a toy, then why even mention a Tripple in the first place? Just because your a cheap ass doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

"Butchered" and "cobbled up" describes the state of 95% of the Banshees on this board. However, this butchered, cobbled up Banshee would blow the proverbial doors off your prissy, pristine and slow antique of a quad.

Butchering and cobbling up new ideas is how the 450 quad was created, in case you forgot, which was a huge innovation to this arena. It's also how comapanies got the idea for the Rhino, RZR, and other performance side-by-sides. It's pretty much the foundation for all types of motorized racing, period; someone wasn't happy with their stock vehicle and "cobbled up" something new.

I can understand how someone with no talent for fabrication or design would consider a motor swap to be butchering, but for those of us with some skill on the welder it's basically a work of art.

The foot peg will be pretty much in the same place as before... why would that change? The bike will be slightly wider, but there's plenty of room for a foot peg. A triple cylinder motor and clutch out of a snowmobile is hardly any wider than a CBR1000 or GSX1300R motor, which plenty of people swap in Banshee frames. It might be easier to do with a frame that comes wider stock, like a Raptor or something, but it's not hard to do. Nothing a weekend with a Miller Econotig and some imagination can't fix.

If you wouldn't pay that kind of money for a toy, then why even mention a Tripple in the first place? Just because your a cheap ass doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

I mentioned it because if I WAS going to do it I WOULD do it right or not at all. Since I dont want to pay that kind of money for a machine that is only good for drag racing I WON'T be running a tripple. I dont just drag race. I trail ride, dune, ride fire roads, and drag race for fun.

"Butchered" and "cobbled up" describes the state of 95% of the Banshees on this board.

I dissagree on that statement. Your really claiming 95% of banshee's on this web site are junk?

However, this butchered, cobbled up Banshee would blow the proverbial doors off your prissy, pristine and slow antique of a quad.

So is this a call out to ANY Banshee that is running the ANTIQUE manual 6 speed?

I can understand how someone with no talent for fabrication or design would consider a motor swap to be butchering, but for those of us with some skill on the welder it's basically a work of art.

I will be looking forward to some pics of this Work of Art when it is done.

The foot peg will be pretty much in the same place as before... why would that change?

Because of that big hunk of garbage hanging out one side of the frame. Where do you plan on putting the CVT clutch system at? Ever banshee I have seen has it hanging clear out one side.

A triple cylinder motor and clutch out of a snowmobile is hardly any wider than a CBR1000 or GSX1300R motor, which plenty of people swap in Banshee frames.

It is a heck of a lot longer than a street bike engine.