Sprocket Gearing?

HillShooter AZ

I went to the drag track friday for the first time and my best run in the 1/8 mile was 9.376 seconds and 73.13 mph. My sprockets are 14/42 and my rear tires are 20 inch knobbies. My reaction times were horrible. My best was .477 seconds. Whats your guys recommendations? I'm getting to the end of fifth gear at the 1/8 th mile.

Ideally, you want to be at the top of your top gear going through the traps. My advice is gear it down a few teeth in the rear if you're going through the traps in 5th with throttle to go.

Have you tried launching in 2nd gear???

Odd you have such tall gearing, I think I need like 18/36 for mine....

Ideally, you want to be at the top of your top gear going through the traps. My advice is gear it down a few teeth in the rear if you're going through the traps in 5th with throttle to go.

Have you tried launching in 2nd gear???

Odd you have such tall gearing, I think I need like 18/36 for mine....

daj... You are geared so low cause you drag... I think he is at stock gearing?

I went to the drag track friday for the first time and my best run in the 1/8 mile was 9.376 seconds and 73.13 mph. My sprockets are 14/42 and my rear tires are 20 inch knobbies. My reaction times were horrible. My best was .477 seconds. Whats your guys recommendations? I'm getting to the end of fifth gear at the 1/8 th mile.

I think the knobbies are killing your times. What was your 60' time?

On my 350 bike I ran asphalt with, I had 14/41 gearing, only using 1-5 and pulled out a 7.93 @84mph w/ my 300lb ass on it. My friend hopped on the bike and ran a 7.42, no gearing change, just half the weight. Mods were similar to yours, but I had asphalt tires on it, with struts, etc.

Ok, these are not top fuel dragsters where you can go WOT off the launch (unless you have a wheelie bar, ofcourse). Which I am going to guess you didn't. So therefore, a .47 reaction time is damn good! Was this on a pro tree or a sport tree?

Another thing, with 14/42 gearing and knobbies, it sounds like you set it up for trails. Stay away from drag racing your banshee! You will get addicted and have to go to BDRA (Banshee Drag Racers Anonymous).

But if you must drag it in the 1/8th, sounds like you would be best with 15/42 or a 15/41. This is only because you didn't tell us your mods on the motor.

I'm launching in 2nd gear.

My 60' time is 2.352. 330' time is 6.231

The bike is set up to drag race at the sand (Hillshooter). Through big whoops and up the big hill at Buttercup ( Across the highway from Glamis).

Most of my mods are in my signature. No wheelie bar. Don't know what kind of tree.

Hey hillshooter, My setup is almost the same as yours only diferrence a run a +4 with a wheelie bar +7 timing amerincan racers 18/10/10 and 17-40 gearing 17cc domes and sunoco 112 blue and i'm running 7.80's @88 mph and just getting out of 5th into 6 gear. I wish are track had 60 and 330 foot times.All we get is reaction and 660'. you need som A.R. tires and up your gearing.

but get out while you can drag racing is like crack one hit and your hooked.

• 1 month later...
daj... You are geared so low cause you drag... I think he is at stock gearing?

Hey Hillshooter, I`m running a 4mil cub on alky with overdrive primerys, 15th front and 40th rear. 20.5 American Racers on back. I`m running 6.88 at 97 mph in the 1/8th. My 60ft times are in the 1.50`s.Thinking about slipping some nitromethane in it to see what happens. Anybody know what percentage to mix?

Hey Hillshooter, I`m running a 4mil cub on alky with overdrive primerys, 15th front and 40th rear. 20.5 American Racers on back. I`m running 6.88 at 97 mph in the 1/8th. My 60ft times are in the 1.50`s.Thinking about slipping some nitromethane in it to see what happens. Anybody know what percentage to mix?

100% :biggrin:

• 2 years later...

Ok, these are not top fuel dragsters where you can go WOT off the launch (unless you have a wheelie bar, ofcourse). Which I am going to guess you didn't. So therefore, a .47 reaction time is damn good! Was this on a pro tree or a sport tree?

Another thing, with 14/42 gearing and knobbies, it sounds like you set it up for trails. Stay away from drag racing your banshee! You will get addicted and have to go to BDRA (Banshee Drag Racers Anonymous).

But if you must drag it in the 1/8th, sounds like you would be best with 15/42 or a 15/41. This is only because you didn't tell us your mods on the motor.

I ran 13/42 gearing and it was good for the trails but I didn't want to get caught in a open field or river bottom drag racing. My power band was strong but it was short. With 13/42 gearing my Banshee would spin like crazy (I even had new Razor 20X11-9 tires) then I had to shift. By that time my the other quad had a pretty good head start and I couldn't catch up. I built my motor for low end power and with that gearing set up I bet my Banshee wouldn't run 65mph.

Before I got caught in that situation again I decided to change out my front sprockets. I ended up going with a 15 tooth front sprocket and left the 42 on the rear. This made night and day difference and really didn't hurt my bottom end at all. I was still able to shoot the same hills I was shooting with the 13 tooth. In the trails I do have to milk my clutch a little more but it's nothing major. I'm running a Drive-Line Heavy Duty Clutch with a Streamline Hydraulic lever. I don't know if the 15/42 gearing will work in every application but it was the key for my set up. The Guys at Drive-Line estimated my horse power based on my mods to be between 50-55 horse power, and like I said before my mods are are low and mid range mods (Paul Turner Mids, Boyesen Power Reeds in Billet Cages, Trinity Stage five head with 21cc Domes, and so on). I'm not sure what mods you have but I would try a 15/42 gearing set up. Your Banshee should take off better (less spinning and help keep the front end from pulling up) and your power band will be longer which results in less shifting which should make your times faster. I guess different set ups like different gearing. The 13/42 set up was sick on my Banshee but it might work with other set ups.